Is there a trick to lilly of the vally

Katie85

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have tried to grow lilly of the vally a few times but it never works. It is a favorite from my childhood and I keep killing it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not sure of the southern chances as it seems to be more of a cooler woodland plant (at least where i've come across it doing well). do you have any partly shaded areas with sandy/loamy soil?

also, the plant being very poisonous would be a hazard to children if they think the red berries are edible...

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried it a few times and finally got it to grow AND come back this spring by planting under a big oak tree.
I built up a little area with good soil about 3' away from the trunk. I planted 10, eight came back this spring and most of them look like they've multiplied.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here it grows like a weed, people call it invasive and warn about planting. I love it to are you tring to grow the pink color that can be tricky. White will need heavy shade in your part of country and lots of water.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy sent me some ones and they didn't grow. But I've never seen it grow here so maybe it's not the right conditions.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are a shade plant. But I found most shade plants can handle sun with enough water

yes, that is how i've got the red astibile. in a low spot where it gets plenty of water. :) otherwise full sun most of the day. it's been there 10-15yrs by now. and in danger of being overgrown by trees.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I tried to grow it here, on the north side of a building. Still too hot.

Latest posts