Is This a Good Deal For Stihl ?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stihl makes a good product and I'd imagine older chainsaw parts are better made than current ones, but it all depends upon the individual machine and the care it's had over time.

The Stihl we had for many years was taken in for servicing. Fix-it guy said it was one great machine and in excellent condition despite its age.

The next day Spouse added gasoline to the oil and Plooey! Service guy said the saw was toast. Felt so bad he didn't even charge us for his basic estimate-repair charge.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
have had my stihl 290 for 17 years runs just like new, but again i take care of it. sharpen my own chains. the nice thing about stihl that they have a sharpener that does the tooth and the rake at the same time... personally use the non low kickback chain, like the bite and the curls of wood that it produces.
wintertime make up a small batch of bar oil and 10wt oil, regular bar oil is to thick for the cold winter months to pump...

heres the prices for stihl saws here locally....
https://ywfarmcenter.stihldealer.ne...?_ga=1.26773629.1383640332.1469050200#filters

you get what you pay for........

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have several pieces of Stihl equipment, the oldest being my weed whip at about 24 years old. It hasn't been coddled but still starts up easy and runs reliably. I should really take better care of it.
It has spent a couple of winters here and there with gas in the tank...:oops:

Stihl makes a good machine. My girly chainsaw was around $200-$250.
Dh gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago, so I'm not real sure on the price. It has a 14" bar. There is one thing that's a problem with it though, and it's some kind of design shortfall. The throttle linkage comes disconnected sometimes and my husband has to take the engine cover off to reconnect it.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/5642726049.html Best price is $90 I go though cheap chain saws like crazy. Are older stihl better built?
I would never buy a used chainsaw. They are very finicky. Our best deal has been buying from Sears. We rarely buy those expensive protection plans that they offer. However, with chainsaws always breaking down we have always bought it. If they can't fix it they credit the price you paid towards a new one. We are on our 3rd chainsaw after purchasing the first one. The big pain is they send it our for repairs and it often takes several weeks to get it back.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having my chain saw recently stolen, I am off of Craig list type of vendors. People here are stealing things like that and selling them there. Monday night, they hooked up to my trailer and stole it. Police say druggers wanting quick fix. If I catch them they will get quick fix.....

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry seed did they get anything else? I have had both home and business broken into. It is not about the loss but more about someone destroying your sence of calm and security.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having my chain saw recently stolen, I am off of Craig list type of vendors. People here are stealing things like that and selling them there. Monday night, they hooked up to my trailer and stole it. Police say druggers wanting quick fix. If I catch them they will get quick fix.....

If you watch CL you may be able to find what was stolen from you.
The police will likely not be much help because theft isn't a high priority with so many other issues needing their attention.

I understand the anger. I had a really nice '79 Bronco stolen once. My 7 year old niece was visiting from out of state, and the day before she was to fly home I took her and three year old Kid#1 to a mall to get a gift for her mom. When we came out my truck was gone. I found the towel I kept on the seat laying in the parking lot.
I was pregnant with Kid#2, but even so I believe I could have pulled the thieves arms out of their sockets and beat them with them.
It makes for a huge disruption in your life, and not just because you are missing something you worked hard for.
I was angry for a few years about that.

Latest posts