Is this a rooster?

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This might explain why we haven't been getting as many eggs as I think we should. I noticed yesterday that a bunch of my BO 'hens' appear to have saddle feathers! Nobody crows, but they're huge. I think they're about 5 months old, but I no longer trust the age we were told when we bought them at the end of June. I was really hoping for a bunch of good layers, but we may end up with chicken 'n' dumplins instead. What do you think?

DSC05181.JPG

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had to question some of my Buffs earlier this spring so I know what you're feeling right now. To be honest- looking at all their combs, the height of their legs, and the feathers, in that picture alone I can only see one that I have no doubts is a hen. In the background from left to right, the second one in is a hen (her comb isn't as red, I don't see any indication of hackle feathers, she has the "bloomer effect" going on with her body and fluff feathers). The one on the log and right next to it look very much like roosters. The one walking away from the camera could be a rooster, but I can't see the comb or wattles good enough to be sure. And the one in the background on the far right looks to be a rooster too. Just compare them to the hen in the middle in the background and you will see what I'm talking about. Then again, chickens can surprise you and you never know until they crow or lay an egg. I hope I am wrong for your sake!

Here is a good reference guide!- http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-feather-anatomy-guide

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I see one hen--the one to the right of the blue&white ball. Sorry! Young roosters taste great! I have 12 I need to butcher right now. You might try ordering pullets from a place like McMurray. I've also had luck ordering pullets through my local Farm Supply Stores. Do you live anywhere close to Champaign-Urbana, IL? I have hens for sale. You could buy a current layer (6 eggs/week), or one of their daughters. :D

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks guys. You're confirming what I already thought. We have 2 that look like hens, and 10 that are probably roos. Up until yesterday, I'd only noticed the size difference and thought 2 of them must be younger than the rest. Then the saddle feathers caught my eye.

We're not ready to butcher anybody yet, but we've done it before, so it isn't a problem. We can give them another month or so to be sure. We'll probably pick out one to keep, and maybe we'll raise some BO chicks in the spring. I've never hatched my own, so that would be exciting.

I'm mostly just bummed that we won't be getting as many eggs as we expected. Our customers would buy us out even if we could get 18-24 a day.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a moment in time, when I am sure every new chicken I have is a rooster! I agree the 2 in the forefront do look like roos- but the ones in the back look like hens. I think you are smart to take a wait and see attitude. My craigslist has had listings for chickens like crazy- if you want to try a for a few more...you might check yours.

Latest posts