Is this Fire Blight?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid it is blight, need confirmation. This is my Little Cado (dwarf avocado tree)
IMG_0631.JPG IMG_0632.JPG IMG_0630.JPG

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Usually the first thing you'd notice would be branch tips doing this little number:
223.jpg

The burnt looking canker usually doesn't show up until fall/winter.

But it's damage of some sort, so I'd prune it out anyway. Use a 10% bleach solution or rubbing alcohol to sterilize your pruning shears after each cut just in case. With fire blight, you need to cut back a good 12" below the damaged area. If you haven't seen any of the "shepherd hook" branch tips like above, odds are good it's not fire blight and you probably don't need to cut off as much.

My last remaining apple tree has fire blight all throughout it this year and must be cut down. I never did get the first apple off of that young tree. :hit It has been rampant around here for a couple years now. Too much rain makes it worse.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did get one branch tip that looked like the above picture. If I cut it back 12 inches it flushes it right back to the main stem. It only has 3 branches and they all have the fire blight. If I cut them, I will only have the main trunk.

No one around me seems to have fire blight and all my other trees are ok.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not real familiar with avocados. I do know that they very sensitive to soil changes around the roots and salinity in the soil, maybe it's reacting to transplanting.
Although that canker spot on the branch looks grim. I hope you don't have fireblight.

Latest posts