Is this some kind of fruit tree? PICS

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No idea what kind of tree this is. Was on the property when we bought it. When I first saw it, it was about this time of year (two years ago) and I kind of wondered if it was a fruit tree. But it never gave any indication.

There is another one of these that was totally blown down by hurricane Katrina. We mostly cleared it away, but there was two feet of the stump sticking out of the ground. Now it is almost as big as the one in this picture! (It is at least ten feet tall and it was a STUMP a year and a half ago.)

But now it has these blossoms on it that look kinda like fruit tree blossoms. But what on earth would be blossoming in September!? :/ There is a picture of the flowers. Only two on the tuft I took a picture of, but most of them are two high for me to reach. The flowers are in clusters of several. Here's the pix.

tree3.jpg

tree4.jpg

tree.jpg

Thanks for lookin'

Cassandra

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It does look pearish, doesn't it! Those blossoms even look like pear blossoms. I am almost certain it's not bradford. I have a bradford pear in the front yart. The leaf shape is very close. But the bradford has a few feet of trunk on the bottom that don't have branches or leaves.

This tree aggressively branches out all the way to the ground. (I have cut it back and mown under it.)

I need to start researching types of pear trees, I guess. But the clusters of flowers make me think of some kind of clustering berries.

Cassandra

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think it probably is Bradford pear. If you cut you other one to the ground it would grow new shoots and look just like what you've got. A few random blossoms out of season isn't that unusual either.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Maybe so, PC. I am trying to imagine what my old bradford looked like ten years ago. It is so much thinner (sparcer) than this bushy guy but back in its day--maybe so.

I emailed the pictures to our extension office to see if any of them have an idea. :D

I will post back if I get a response.

Cassandra

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was also reading that fruit trees (I assume ornamental ones included) will sometimes bloom out of season after being stressed. Then it may take them a couple of seasons to get back to normal. Since they were both seriously stressed after hurrican katrina, maybe they are just trying to get back to normal.

Poor things....

Cassandra

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its been a ROUGH year for my bradford pear... its in horrible shape. Its leaves have already gone red/purple for the fall while the rest of the neighborhood's trees are still green.

They are VERY succeptable to stress in so many ways!

Latest posts