It CAAAAME!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule offered to send me some of her Thai #3 long beans, and when I checked the mail this morning, there they were!!!

Can't wait till mid april to plant them :D

Baymule: You said in your instructions not to compost, should I dig my garden out a little farther and put them in completely untouched soil? My garden has steer manure in it (and I think the steer manure had compost in it, as it was bagged) and I don't want to have the same problem you did.

SO excited. Can't wait to plant them!!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first year I planted these, I composted the ground, dug the dirt to China and back and prepared those green beans a bed any vegetable would be proud of! The green beans made masses of vines, but no beans. I fed them too much and it all went to their leaves! :tongue Finally, in the fall, I got green beans. :idunnoI figured that was how they were going to grow for me. We all know how different climates affect vegetables and flowers. Second year, I just pulled the weeds, dug the dirt, no compost and got the same results. Tons of vines and finally in the fall, I got green beans. Still, it was worth it, the beans were good. :drool Third year, they started making beans two months after I planted them, made beans ALL summer, until I thought I'd puke if I had to eat another green bean. :sick

Last year, I moved the bed and all I did was dig out the weeds, loosen the dirt and plant. They climbed the hay twine/T-post trellis I made for them, got right to work cranking out long green beans and made beans until a hard freeze took 'em out.

Yes, @AMKuska move the bean garden over to fresh ground with no manure. Pull the grass and weeds, dig the dirt good to loosen it up and plant the seeds. After they come up, mulch with leaves or grass clippings. Water and pick. When you pick them.....VERY IMPORTANT......gently hold the long stem the bean is growing from and twist the bean off. The stem will bloom again and grow you another bean! And KEEP growing you MORE beans! Make sure they have full sun and that they don't shade your garden. They make a dense mat of vines, so you might want to put them a distance away from your garden spot so they don't shade it. :weee

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first year I planted these, I composted the ground, dug the dirt to China and back and prepared those green beans a bed any vegetable would be proud of! The green beans made masses of vines, but no beans. I fed them too much and it all went to their leaves! :tongue Finally, in the fall, I got green beans. :idunnoI figured that was how they were going to grow for me. We all know how different climates affect vegetables and flowers. Second year, I just pulled the weeds, dug the dirt, no compost and got the same results. Tons of vines and finally in the fall, I got green beans. Still, it was worth it, the beans were good. :drool Third year, they started making beans two months after I planted them, made beans ALL summer, until I thought I'd puke if I had to eat another green bean. :sick

Last year, I moved the bed and all I did was dig out the weeds, loosen the dirt and plant. They climbed the hay twine/T-post trellis I made for them, got right to work cranking out long green beans and made beans until a hard freeze took 'em out.

Yes, @AMKuska move the bean garden over to fresh ground with no manure. Pull the grass and weeds, dig the dirt good to loosen it up and plant the seeds. After they come up, mulch with leaves or grass clippings. Water and pick. When you pick them.....VERY IMPORTANT......gently hold the long stem the bean is growing from and twist the bean off. The stem will bloom again and grow you another bean! And KEEP growing you MORE beans! Make sure they have full sun and that they don't shade your garden. They make a dense mat of vines, so you might want to put them a distance away from your garden spot so they don't shade it. :weee
I would plant different varieties at the same time, using different maturation dates as one of your choices. Then plant again every 2 weeks or so for continuous fresh beans.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would plant different varieties at the same time, using different maturation dates as one of your choices. Then plant again every 2 weeks or so for continuous fresh beans.

Good idea, but there are not many varieties of long beans out there and they all produce around the same time. Succession planting works great!

I've run into the over-fertilization = tons of leaves, no podset with a few vine crops. I just make more room for the crop (no compost) and plant the spot that loaded up with compost with crops like tomatoes, onions, or tobacco. Warning to Kuska, if the steer manure has not been composted for two years or more - don't plant carrots in that spot! You'll run into a similar problem with two much leaf and smaller, very hairy roots.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 with these beans, they live all summer until a killing freeze. My mistake was over fertilizing them. By not fertilizing them, they started making beans 2 months after planting them and continued all summer. There is no need to succession plant with these. They make so many beans that we give away a lot of them.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Warning to Kuska, if the steer manure has not been composted for two years or more - don't plant carrots in that spot! You'll run into a similar problem with two much leaf and smaller, very hairy roots.

Total "ah-ha" moment! That makes so much sense. Carrots I plant in pots or in the raised beds have been much smaller than the ones I planted in poorer soil in my main garden.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good idea, but there are not many varieties of long beans out there and they all produce around the same time. Succession planting works great!

I've run into the over-fertilization = tons of leaves, no podset with a few vine crops. I just make more room for the crop (no compost) and plant the spot that loaded up with compost with crops like tomatoes, onions, or tobacco. Warning to Kuska, if the steer manure has not been composted for two years or more - don't plant carrots in that spot! You'll run into a similar problem with two much leaf and smaller, very hairy roots.

Ooooh.. How do I tell how long it has been composted? I threw away the bags. :( Thanks for telling me before I had to contemplate nair for carrots!

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ooooh.. How do I tell how long it has been composted? I threw away the bags. :( Thanks for telling me before I had to contemplate nair for carrots!
:yuckyuck

Too much nitrogen can cause green, leafy growth with no fruit. I found that out the hard way one year with tomatoes. I used the bedding from my chicken coop, dug into the garden bed and then planted tomatoes. The plants grew 7' tall and were very bushy with vigorous green growth. But they set very few fruit. Last year I deliberately left one end of the garden bed free of chicken coop bedding and planted my tomatoes there. They grew 4' tall and were laden with fruit.

Latest posts