. Havasu, Arizona.

118° in Phoenix, AZ

115° in Las Vegas, NV

right now ...

digitS'

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I heard they weren't flying there today because of the heat.

We're feeling that heat wave too. It's been in the 90s! And we have no air conditioning just a fan that I'm not sure helps.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I heard they weren't flying there today because of the heat.

We're feeling that heat wave too. It's been in the 90s! And we have no air conditioning just a fan that I'm not sure helps.

Mary
Mary, to help you sleep well in the heat, spray mist your top bed sheet and turn a fan on. A box fan or a fan on a stand should be set to blow on you. The evaporation of the water will cool you down. I have lived without air conditioning in our bodacious Texas heat before and trying to sleep with sweat rolling off is not a pleasant experience.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will set up the air conditioner in time but I've wondered about this:

DW is a great fan of ... ... ... fans. We almost have enough fans to have one in every room of this small house. Maybe we do!

The box fan is usually committed to one window and I like to turn it on early in the morning. It rids the house of nighttime air in a matter of minutes. But, if I didn't have the air conditioner, could a put her big cookie pan on the kitchen floor, fold a soaked bath towel on it and turn that box fan so it blows across the wet towel? Would that make for some cooling? A little? Okay in 90° weather?

I can't help but think that 110+ would be a death sentence for some with no air conditioning.

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is way to hot for me, I prefer 70s low 80s max lol. When it gets close to the hundreds around here I hide out.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When we didn't have a.c. we would put box fans in the windows and even in 100 it was pretty nice at nice. A cool shower before bed. I heard that you can hang wet sheets in the windows to help cool for people without fans.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Collector ,

It was an all-time record high temperature tie for Las Vegas. Imagine!

I shouldn't criticize Las Vegas because I've only been there once and didn't look around much but I doubt if I could find many reasons to choose that location as a home. Certainly not without modern technology ... and, I don't really like refrigerated air! (Not much of a fan of fans, either ... well, exhaust fans are okay ;).) And, if someone can't afford a fan, can he or she afford a sheet and a window?

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have box fans for every room, they help a lot in the windows in the evening.
We also have a ceiling fan in the living room. I bought it to replace the one that came with the house that I decided was just ugly. The new one is huge! Moves lots of air, and when your sitting beneath it on the couch it is very cooling. When the direction the blades spin is turned around in the winter you can feel the warm air coming down from the ceiling.