2 Cups yellow cornmeal
1 Cup all-purpose flour
3 Tsp. baking powder
1/2 Tsp. baking soda
1 Tsp. salt (optional)
4 Tbs sugar
4 Fresh jalapenos (chopped)
1 Can of corn (drained)
1 Cup Mexican or Cheddar cheese (finely shredded)
1 1/4 Cups milk
2 Eggs
6 Tbs. melted butter

Grease & flour a 9-inch square baking pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, salt & sugar. Stir in chopped peppers, corn & cheese.

In another bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs & melted butter. Stir into the dry ingredients until well moistened. Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned & firm. Enjoy!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've used both. It all depends on what we have on hand (as it is 50 miles round trip to the grocery store). Good catch Mary!!!

NOTE: I edited the recipe to read 'milk' as that is much more likely to be on hand in most households & doesn't change the taste all that much.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made a batch of that last week, but layered browned sausage and cheese in the middle. There is no fail in cornbread! Yours looks yummy!

Uh...... I just told an untruth......I did have a fail in cornbread. When my daughter was 8 or 9, she asked for cornbread one night, so I made some. I took it out of the oven and not only did it not rise, but it sank and became even more dense. :barnie So we took it outside and played Frisbee with it while the dogs tried to catch it so they could eat it. We had a blast and it finally fell apart, much to the dogs delight. :lol:

Latest posts