Jam canning question

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
want to make strawberry rhubarb jam. Would like to can some of it. All say water bath. I HATE WATER BATH METHOD...... Assume pressure canner is out of the question. Can someone explain why that is a bad method?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
want to make strawberry rhubarb jam. Would like to can some of it. All say water bath. I HATE WATER BATH METHOD...... Assume pressure canner is out of the question. Can someone explain why that is a bad method?

It's not and there's no reason why you can't use it. Folks use the water bath on jams because it's just not necessary to pull out the big guns of the PC for jam, but there's no reason you CAN'T or shouldn't use it for jams. Some people don't use either and just let the hot mixture seal the jars for them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pressure is just so much faster. Thanks for info.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not mine. Aluminum All American. By the time I get water boiling, I'm almost done with pressure

Had enough strawberries for a quart so in refrigerator waiting to make pbj sandwiches

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do it both ways and sometimes if I have a big batch I just go ahead and pressure it or do boiling water bath in the pressure canner since it's the biggest pot I have.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I only do pressure canning. I know its safe to do water bath with fruits, but I'm too scared of botulism. :hide

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Often I will add lemon zest and lemon juice to jams and jellies. It adds acid to prevent spoilage and to help the fruit set (or gel).

Sometimes people just turn the jar upside down after pouring the jelly in. Then after about 10 minutes they turn it back up right. Of course you do need to tighten the ring unlike canning 'just finger tight'.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's how we do apple butter....hot mixture straight in the jar, tighten down the lids and let them seal on their own. No processing needed, no lemon added. Keeps for years and years that way.