January weather data

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had resolved not to complain about the weather this winter, but I thought this National Weather Service infographic bore mentioning. This is why my chickens are swimming in mud! :confused:

FB_IMG_1485981665596.jpg

We are just above Charleston. 29 days out of 31 we had rain (barely any snow...thankfully it wasn't feet upon feet of snow.) I don't mind if it's cold, but I need to see the sun! :barnie

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just heard this morning that by the end of the month we will have 1 hour and 5 minutes more day light. :)
A strange winter here also. Only .4 inch for January and above normal temps. (No complaining from me.)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just heard this morning that by the end of the month we will have 1 hour and 5 minutes more day light. :)
A strange winter here also. Only .4 inch for January and above normal temps. (No complaining from me.)
We saw a lot of robins yesterday. I hope they don't die when the weather get cold again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, you had more rainy days but @ninnymary had higher rain totals!

For the month of January, San Francisco Airport had 9.33 inches that was 5.14 inches more than normal, however. So, it must have been a little difficult around there at times and that's what the national news was reporting for northern California

Now, I teased Mary about having so little winter sunshine the other day and it looks like her home has had continuous sunny days, ever since. Or at least, there hasn't been any rain. Let's hope Mary has perfect weather after all those clouds and rain. And, Here's Wishing You Sunshine, Too - Journey!

Steve
under sunny skies today but not above freezing

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha Steve, even on days that are cloudy, the sun will come out for part of the day. It's not all dreary days thank goodness. My hens have even continued to lay most days. On dreary days I only get 1 egg out of 4 hens but that is rare.

It's going to rain a little today and tomorrow and then back on Sunday. Next week we expect more rain. Of course we love it! But I am anxious to extend my lantana beds in the front but right now they are too muddy. :)

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to know, Mary. It was quite a break from the drought and I know you are hoping that serious dry times are past. Let's see if it's so and continue hoping.

Locally, we now have 1 hour 11 minutes more daylight. Watch those of us near 49° North latitude really pick up some speed on that soon. Breakneck Speed

How about that Moon!? And, Venus was dazzling the other evening even with the Moon so close.

Nearby Weather Station claims January was the second coldest on average since 1979. The thing is, there really wasn't any extreme cold. It looks like we will once again escape winter with lows just a few degrees below zero. This isn't really uncommon but usually we had those 10 below zero nights once or twice. Every 10 years - a minus 20°f morning. A day or two most winters with an afternoon high below 0°. Didn't happen this winter! Just monotonous cold with snow on the ground ... We aren't out of it yet! We have had very cold weather in late February and early March -- single digitS' with wind ... wind!

Steve, of the more common kind

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had the third coldest month of January on record. :th I just received the gas only utility bill for Jan. at $ 175.53 which is 3 X the bills for Jan. for the last 3 years that we were in this house. :barnie

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had the third coldest month of January on record. :th I just received the gas only utility bill for Jan. at $ 175.53 which is 3 X the bills for Jan. for the last 3 years that we were in this house. :barnie
ONLY $175. ? (That is about what we pay spring and fall) Summer a bit less and Winter usually closer to $200.

Latest posts