Japanese pepper tree

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One last question then I must face my weeds :p I saw one on a local gardening show and can not find any online

does anyone have one? can you tell me about these ..they sound just wonderful ..multi use and fragrant!

should I have more than one?

any advice and a source would be greatly appreciated

thank you in advance :)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi again! It seems that the japanese Pepper tree is also called Sancho & I have seen Sancho pepper for sale so it should mean that if we can buy Sancho whole peppercorns we could sow the seeds. Otherwise it is sold as an indoor Bonsai tree (but this I suspect would be very expensive). I'll let you know if I find anything else on the subject! :lol:

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Hattie! very interesting

here is the guy who was talking about it ..think I am going to have to listen to all the podcasts and find it again ..I just caught the part about it being wonderfully fragrant a pretty bush ..and a very tasty spice... I have had no luck finding a sorce so far

I heard they had them in California

you whould think that they would be around someplace to buy if he was talking about adding them to your garden!!

http://www.ciscoe.com/

please let me know if you see one anywhere!

thanks!!!

(this will be one of those times like I did a couple of years ago with stevia ..looked all over online because I heard it was fun to grow..then found great big healthy plants for cheap at Lowes:p

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greetings again HiDelight :frow

GOOD & BAD NEWS!

The bad news is that you will need a male & a female tree........!! Here is another article:-

http://www.bayflora.com/japetr.html

The GOOD NEWS:- It looks as If you can buy them from this company.

It certainly looks like a pretty tree!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hmmmm I have to consider the size! I thought it was more like a bush
it is pretty and I am sure I have a place I can put two ...hmmmm
that site is dangerous it has a lot things baiting me to spend money ...wow ..I would love to have an olive tree :)

Strong work Hattie!!! You the woman!!! and thank you so much for looking I had googled myself silly trying to find a source

I should have emailed Ciscoe ..maybe I will anyway and tell him what it took to find this thing he told us we should plant!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie (and if anyone else is interested) so far nice people! responded to my email in 15 min!

I have the perfect spots for the boy and the girl the size is fine...

something new to plan for how exciting! they are pretty and I am told smell just wonderful!

"We're in northern California. Sansho trees grow fine in your area--but make sure you have a well-drained spot since you probably receive a lot of rainfall.

They have an eventual canopy of about 15' and they're about 15' tall.

Our new crop of trees will be ready around the end of July.

Maureen Burke
Bay Flora
www.bayflora.com"

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow HiDelight that is great news.

I love dealing with people like that -- just shows that you get what you pay for!!! I thought they looked like a reliable company from looking at their web pages. I loved the look of the trees but I don't have the room, unfortunately.

Good Luck to you! :D

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok well now I am bummed they do not sex their trees so I will not know until they mature what I have :(

I have to do better than that I want berries!

the search for a source continues but I need a girl and a boy

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought my first one today so I am hardly an expert but I have read that the tree (shrub) is rather easily grafted so once you find out which sex you have you might be able to find one of the other sex and graft a branch onto yours. That will, in effect, make it self polinating. If you are a beginner at grafting you can approach graft. Anyone can do that. This method is also known as bottle grafting. If you can't find the info on this type of grafting message me and I'll explain.
BTW if you are in the San Diego area you can get them at Walter Anderson Nursery on Pacific Hwy but they aren't sexed.

Latest posts