Jen's old and new Dutch garden 2019

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is my attempt for a thread about my two gardens this year. We've bought a new house which will be further away from my mom's place, so I can't garden there every weekend. Its almost an hour's drive from the new place.

I have found an allotment garden (2420 square feet) near our new house, 10 minutes cycling, it's Holland ;)
The current user asked way too much for the greenhouse and the shed so they will be removed by them. I'm moving the shed that's in my new backyard to this garden.
This is the new garden:

20181228_135752.jpg

20181228_135804.jpg

The grass needs to go but that will be a project for later in the year. Greenhouse will also come later, I'll grow most tomatoes at mom's greenhouse this year! The new house needs a lot of work too, we're getting the key on the 1st of April, no joke!
20181228_135842.jpg

Those hedges will also need to come down at some point .
Meeting with the chairman this Saturday to meet and talk about what the rules are of the allotments. I'm also meeting with the current owners about what plants I might wanna keep. I already agreed on a price for the fences around the garden, got the price down a lot because they wanted way too much for it in my opinion.
Can't wait to start here! Will take measures Saturday so I can draw up some plans!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It IS a good-sized space.

My experience as a community gardener was starting in a small area. After others were frustrated by marmot raids and left, I took over a little more space ...

... until I was nearly all alone in the gardens, trying to keep those groundhogs outta my veggies!

Steve

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom
It is a rented garden, the only things you buy is what's on the piece of land, so plants/trees, buildings, greenhouses or maybe even chairs and tools. You deal with the previous renter about this, from what I understood it should mostly be a symbolic amount.

@digitS'
From what I know these gardens are used quite a bit, some people use it also to just be outside and leisure there. Mine will be all production and seedsaving.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a beautiful area!!
Those hedges are pretty awesome. Do they shade the garden too much? Is that why they have to go? I would think that trying to replace them with a planting area would be a tremendous amount of work.
Would that waterway be considered a canal?

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@canesisters, Yeah the hedges look great, but they are taking up too much of my valuable growing space. My wife was also not happy about me wanting to take them down and losing the grass.
The water is what you would call a ditch, I could translate it to mud-ditch (moddersloot) even. In the middle it holds maybe 8" of water and then at least 2' of black mud/sludge. all those ditches run to a broader ditch that goes all they way to a windmill where it is pumped to a canal after rainfall.