jersey walking stick cabbage question

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted 5 jersey walking stick cabbage seeds last year... only one made it. It is now 7 feet tall and flowering! Does anyone know if they are self pollinating? I would love to save the seeds if they are, but there is not a lot of info on these things so I don't know. Anyone out there know?

muffy

Sprout
Reaction score
Its always worth a try! Don't be surprised though, if it's a hybrid and the seed won't come true..that's the mystery of plants..you just never know what will work! Good luck

muffy

Sprout
Reaction score
A few years back I had a customer that badly wanted some of these walking sticks.I obtained the seeds from some obscure seed company..and tried to grow them.
I did grow them actually, but I couldn't get the height or the thickness for them to be functional, which is what this guy wanted..I had my own nursery and greenhouse, but no matter what I did I couldn't get any size on the buggers, so I am impressed that you have one this big!
I was in the southern Sierras where it gets very hot (108) so I always had a hard time with orn. cabbage and kale during the summer.
So thats all I know!:idunno

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
8005_016.jpg

I tried to insert a picture here... but this is the first time I've tried that, so if it doesn't come up sorry.
I planted 50 more of these this spring and they are starting to come up. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with them so except that they kind of remind me of my polish chickens. I was thinking that if I could get the things to produce seed I could quit buying the seed. Other than that, I guess everyone I know will be getting a wizard staff for Christmas in a couple years once I figure out how to cure them.:cool:

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, the trick to getting the right thickness and to get it that tall is that you have to break off the leaves as it grows... I had another one make it to about 4 feet but was too thick and couldn't support itself properly before I figured out to break the leaves off. Thanks everyone for the responses!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you have more than one you should be able to get some seeds. The limit is only against self pollination not pollination by another kale. It might be worth it. The seeds are very expensive to buy, when you can even find them. They were developed on the Isle of Jersey in England so I would guess the key to getting good quality would be a long, cool, foggy growing environment.

Latest posts