Journey11's Garden 2017

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've had 4" of rain this week and it's so hot and humid. It's quickly becoming a jungle out there! I still have more weeds to slay in the bottom section of the garden. Once the mud dries up, I think I'll make a pass with the weedeater first, then get on it with my scuffle hoe. Three little rows of herbs, flowers and various things are hiding down there and another 3 rows I never planted anything yet, but I think I'll do some broccoli and cabbage and some other fall stuff. It's very high N from where the chickens were. My garden went in a little late this year, but it's catching up. Most people got theirs in early with the mild winter we had. But anyway, here's a little of what I have to show for myself so far...

20170713_164840.jpg
20170713_163256.jpg

These are snake gourds I planted for the kids to paint.
20170713_163132.jpg

Ack! Weedz!! :eek:
20170713_163530.jpg

When these sweet potatoes take off, they'll keep the weeds back for me. I transplanted the thinnings from my row of okra a little too late. They were a little wilty, but today they're perking up.
20170713_163421.jpg

The kids' bean teepee is taking off. Those are Brinker-Carrier snap beans on the left, a SSE bean I bought that originated in my county. Also have scarlet runners and a Lima I'm growing for Russ on there.
20170713_163359.jpg

This one's blooming before it made it up the pole.
20170713_163336.jpg

I love this bed. I need 2 more knock-out roses to balance it out. The Black Lace Elderberry was cut back to 18" this winter and look at it now! I would like to get 6 more to landscape with, maybe try starting some cuttings. The orange marigolds were volunteers. They kinda clash, but I was glad to have something blooming. I didn't put in many flowers this year. I have another bed that is mostly just mulch and a couple scattered perennials, but at least there is no weeds.
20170713_165033.jpg

I started this hibiscus from seeds from my mom's. Only this one made it. It goes well with the elderberry.
20170713_165221.jpg

This is my dad's African violet. This little thing makes me so happy. It just blooms like crazy. :)
20170713_145422.jpg

Didn't get a pic, but my fig tree is finally bearing this year. :clap

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
20170629_173233.jpg
Oh, and the power company made me cut back my corkscrew willow. It looks hideous and I'm worried it will die since it was cut in summer while it was leafed out. I have no shade tree now. :hit

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's all beautiful Journey! You may have started late, but your garden is leaps and bounds ahead of my poor little thing.
What pretty countryside you have out there. Love it!

That pic of two happy girls on a handsome mount is a jewel. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the rolling hills here. My sister lives on a hilltop too. She has an amazing view.

Going to be getting these girls some riding lessons here soon! My niece, in the pink, is the most fearless little thing. She catches them and climbs up bareback on her own. She's 2 and a half years older than Savannah, but they are the same size.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
i am so jealous you have a outstanding garden this year...... and 2 happy girls... my hat is off to all your hard work..:clap

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your garden looks great considering all you went through and your lack of time to tend it. I just love that horse's colors! Will he stay permanently at your sister's?

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your garden looks great considering all you went through and your lack of time to tend it. I just love that horse's colors! Will he stay permanently at your sister's?

Mary

His name was Bandit's Spirit of Freedom on his papers, but I call him Journey. He is black on his opposite hindquarter, but other than that, just has a "mask" on his face. :p

I expect I will have him out there indefinitely. We'd love to have a farm, but don't have the time for one right now and paying off this house first is more our priority. We talked to our neighbor about the possibility of buying the big red barn that feeds my cistern and the acre next to us to put the horse and maybe a few goats, but he won't split it. I don't blame him, really. Many years ago, it used to be part of a larger parcel that went with our house, but had been divided several times.

My sister lives 10 minutes down the road, so it's not to far to go.