just a update...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
still alive and kicking........
last November posted that decided to do a major rebuild on my old girl since getting a new one was out of the question... so took advantage of getting parts at wholesale, replaced every pulley,spring, bushing. basically replaced any part that dealt with the drive train,steering,deck, new set of blades welded up a couple holes on the deck.

all done just needed to button her up...
DSC_0005.JPG

she is strong as day one now......

had a wild hair and asked for a prices on a trans axle and seat for her...just shy of a grand..
was told that his mother has a deal for me, for $822.00 can have a poulan pro pbgt2654 g/t still in the crate, retail it goes for $2999.00. it's a discontinued model. was told that there was 2 just sitting in their warehouse.. hummm taxes just came.
guess what bought both of them for $1644.00
mower.JPG

took about a 4 hours to finish assembling them..
DSC_0009.JPG

following day made a couple phone calls sold it for $1300.00, kept the one on the left. so got a new g/t for $478.00.... can you say score.....

the new stud meets the old girl.
DSC_0013.JPG

been on a learning curve on how to mow with a 54"..

fast forward ... we are not doing a garden this year..nothing...
have been running the raised beds 365/24/7 for the last 3 years, time for me to step back and work on the soil. saw problems last year, this year just going to rebuild all the beds that need it. about the only worth keep out there is a few beets and a hand full CARROTS everything else has bolted or gone to seed.
DSC_0008.JPG

dw made me promise if she double canned last year, that i would go back home with her for her family's reunion. in the next week or two going to order the lumber and rebuild them..
in the mean time it was time to till in the winter cover crop in the main garden.

for as much crimson clover planted had a ton of wheat coming up.
DSC_0003.JPG

tilled in..
DSC_0005.JPG

next weekend will plant a spring cover crop mix of field peas/oats/hairy vetch out there, once other areas are ready will plant out there as well hopefully will be able to do a couple plantings /turnings this year to add to the soil....

sorry @seedcorn best you stay up north, will miss your visit like last year.
DSC_0006.JPG

so thats the update for here........ best i leave before @digitS' tells me that i have inappropriately posted a journal in the wrong area again....

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish Nice mower deal. Couldn't even buy a used, beat up rider for that here.

Well, guess @ninnymary and I will have to cancel our tickets.....& She was going to bring sour dough bread and I was going to bring a northern delicacy. Your loss.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
So good to see your post :) I sure missed you during your away time. Nice score on the lawn mowers. AND Happy Birthday ;)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
What? No garden? How does that feel? Will you be growing anything at all in the ground or perhaps a different space?

I've been making your pot roast in the crock pot on a fairly regular basis. It is so good and easy. I have one of my former parents doing it as well. Thanks again for the recipe.

I've missed you and glad you are back. You've missed my rat problem, haha

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to see you Major! Glad you kept at least a handful of carrots growing. :)
With all that TLC you're giving your beds they should produce really abundantly for you next year.
A year without your free produce should make your co-workers appreciate more what they had last year.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awesome deal on the mowers! And the new stud is so handsome too! Glad you stopped in to visit, don't stay away so durn long! You'll have to tell us all about your trip back to your wife's home!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
till the self appointed forum thread enforcement agent apologizes in full in a separate thread. my postings will be far and between till then.
for those of you who received cards, you know my full name and i am on facebook now...