Just Wanted to Share some *Pre*history With You

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Long Legal and Moral Battle Over Kennewick Man (link to article)

Years before there was a Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act, I had the honor of attending a repatriation of remains. I know the photographer who took the picture of the Palouse Falls, Craig Goodwin but it has been decades since I have been involved in any of these issues. I am, Pre-Kennewick Man ;).

We, just the anthropology museum director and I, set off early one morning with a simple wooden box. We were bound for the Nez Perce Indian Reservation in Lapwai, Idaho. We talked about the construction of the highway on the drive up the Clearwater River. Dr. Sprague told me how he had advised against cutting through a particular hillside because it was likely to be an Indian burial site. Construction was halted when the bulldozers began turning up remains and for months he worked to excavate along the route and re-inter the remains in a more protected area.

On this day we were moving remains that had been brought up on a dig along the Palouse River. We met a Nez Perce pastor and I preceded our little group of 3 down the hill with a shovel. This was my one and only experience as a grave digger. It wasn't necessary for the grave to be 6'+ long or deep, even tho' the casket held the bones of at least 3 individuals.

The link above has a little information about another reburial and the interesting case of the Kennewick Man. I thought I'd share :).

Steve

Latest posts