labeling

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know this is probably a really dumb question...
can you write on the lids of the jars after they have sealed without unsealing the seal?

I'd like to just use a Sharpie (or, as we said back in the day, a Magic Marker) on the lid...since you throw the lids away anyway. Plus I don't want to use labels on the side of the jar.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sharpies work great and do not "unseal" the jar. Just wait until it has cooled down before you write on it. Be sure to include the date and what is inside. Many things can look alike-strawberry jam and strawberry syrup. You can even use a code on the lid for what recipe you used in case it was a new one and you want to remember which one it was.

Happy canning!!:rainbow-sun

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sure. If writing on the lid affects the seal, then it was not a good seal anyhow :) (Do not store jars with the screw-ring on, and be careful not to bump the edges of sealed lids *too* hard on things, but really, a good seal is going to be on there pretty stoutly and in fact can sometimes require a bit of work to get off when you WANT to open the jar :))

I'd do it more often myself (and I *do*do sharpie-on-lid labelling sometimes) except that years and years of being a biologist have left me with lingering heebie-jeebies about a) writing on lids and b) sharpie-written labels. I always feel like I should be putting an india-ink-on-paper label inside the jar (proper way to label specimens). Yeah, like *that* would be a good idea in a jar of jam... :p

Pat

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Sure. If writing on the lid affects the seal, then it was not a good seal anyhow :) (Do not store jars with the screw-ring on, and be careful not to bump the edges of sealed lids *too* hard on things, but really, a good seal is going to be on there pretty stoutly and in fact can sometimes require a bit of work to get off when you WANT to open the jar :))

I'd do it more often myself (and I *do*do sharpie-on-lid labelling sometimes) except that years and years of being a biologist have left me with lingering heebie-jeebies about a) writing on lids and b) sharpie-written labels. I always feel like I should be putting an india-ink-on-paper label inside the jar (proper way to label specimens). Yeah, like *that* would be a good idea in a jar of jam... :p

Pat
Thanks re: tip about taking screw rings off.

and LOL re: specimen jars!

Latest posts