late blight

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Just pulled out all my tomato plants and cut off the potato vines yesterday due to what I believe was late blight. For those of you in SW PA beware.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup blight can be very damaging in a garden....
Was able to control blight in the potato bed using daconil fungicide
Works great on tomatoes as well

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm only a few miles from SW PA. My potatoes are done, just need dug. The tomatoes are showing signs of blight, but mine are getting early blight, late, because of the cooler/wetter weather we have had.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is at least one variety I know of that's resistant to blight, not sure which type of blight though. It's called "Legend". I understand there is both a hybrid version of it and a stable variety version of it. Thompson and Morgan has it. Nice red medium sized Tomato. I used to grow them in Montana. Another variety called "Oregon Spring" seemed resistant to practically everything.

One of the best defenses against disease is resistant varieties.

Some other varieties that claim disease resistance, some I never grew but can think of offhand include "Peron", and "Rutgers". Lemon Boy is one I used to grow, and those never got touched by anything. Those are usually now listed as a stable variety but they used to only be available as F1 hybrid. They are a nice good bright yellow tomato medium sized. Before I stopped growing tomatoes due to tomatoes attracting gophers I was working on getting a stable cluster version of them developed. I have seed of them but wanted to cross it with Lemon Boy to start the project.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oregon Spring has been doing well for me here this year. but i grew most of my tomatoes in pots, not many seem to be affected by any blight this year. i also grew some Rutger's and they seem to be doing well. my Romas growing in pots seem to be stunted vs. the ones that volunteered in the garlic/pepper patch that look fantastic and BIG. i think i grew those in pots that were too small for their roots to spread where they like it. :/ my potatoes are far away from the tomatoes so i don't see many problems with either this year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
There is at least one variety I know of that's resistant to blight, not sure which type of blight though. It's called "Legend". I understand there is both a hybrid version of it and a stable variety version of it. Thompson and Morgan has it. Nice red medium sized Tomato. I used to grow them in Montana. Another variety called "Oregon Spring" seemed resistant to practically everything.

One of the best defenses against disease is resistant varieties. . .
Just the open-pollinated one, Marshall. James Baggett's tomatoes are all open-pollinated, I believe. Here is a little about Legend (link).

It does have some seeds, contrary to what the OSU story might lead one to believe. I've been growing them for about 4 years but it is early & not late blight that one seems to have to worry about here. Not such a problem.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know for certain I grew Legend in 2007: That was my last year in Montana. Thompson and Morgan's catalog called it an F1. I sure thought it did. Is there a way to find an online copy of T&M's 2007 catalog?

Or am I all ole and confused? That could be...

Latest posts