Lazy Or Foolproof

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I planted 2 metal urns with wave petunias. I bought 6 packs and planted heavy. I had visions of mats of flowers growing down the urns. Never happened plants did not die but only grew a small amout. Was in home depot last night and found these. At $19.99 i thought lets try.
upload_2017-4-29_10-18-50.png
upload_2017-4-29_10-19-38.png

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's exactly what one of my clients does and I think it's genius.
Sometimes I pop the arrangement out of it's container (verrry gently)
and put it in the decorative container, and sometimes we just cut the hanger off and plop it in, original container and all. It just depends on if the store container will be visible, and if the plants have an established root system to hold together when tipped out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
See why you need to fire up that greenhouse, @Nyboy ?

First off, petunias have been an easy plant for me to start.

Second, you just never know how your store-bought plants have been treated. If they were "babied" right up until the time that you take them home, the conditions that you put them in can be devastating to them. Well, maybe not devastating but "too harsh." Of course, this is true with whether plants you are buying have been grown in any size container - altho large containers are probably always best. And, blooming plants are crazy, crazy I tell you! Imagine the torture a petunia has been thru to bloom in a 6-pack! Customer appeal is all it's about but where is the mercy?

Steve

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love nasturtiums, beautiful and edible! I planted some of the wave petunias one year but they didn't really live up to the hype. On the other hand a knock out rose was truly impressive. I move so much that anything like that needs to be planted in containers.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When knockouts went on clearance I bought about 20 all different colors. None survived. I found Rugsa roses at Christmas shop for $5.99 planted 4 all made it thought winter, hoping for flowers this spring

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I think it has more to do with the condition of the clearance roses, rather than the rose itself. NOT a rose expert, but I have wasted $ on clearance plants before and the prior Lack of care given them finally did them in.

Latest posts