Lebanese squash??

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am being over run by Lebanese squash. I am trying to pick them while they are still small like they recommend but I keep finding them hidden everywhere. Some have reached the size of a spaghetti squash.

Today I made the Lebanese squash cookie recipe and this afternoon I plan to make zucchini bread but I need more ideas.

Do you think they will store like a winter squash?

I am getting desperate. Please help!!!

Gina

5900_img_1902.jpg

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Never heard of them but think it is way awesome that you have such a bounty. I think worse come to worse bake (if they are like a winter squash) and put them in the freezer for pumkin bread type dishes or soups.

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Lebanese squash, but from your post it sounds like they can be baked in sweets similarly to zucchini. When I have extra zucchini or yellow squash I shread them, blanch them, then freeze them in pre-measured amounts in freezer ziploc bags. I mark on the bags that it's 1 cup or 2 cups. Then I can pull them out in the winter for zucchini bread and such. I also had a lady tell me to shread them and add some to practically anything that I cook - spaghetti, soup, bread, etc.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you both. Yes shredding is my next step.

gina

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes exactly. When you pick them young 6 to 7 inches they are very tender. The meat to seed ratio is good. I have a few that were missed and managed to get a bit big. They seem to be tougher(the skin) and more seedy. I am going to try and store them. I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

g

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that squash either, is it also know by another name?

I know with winter squash it's a good idea to sun cure them, for better storage life. Simply leave them out in the sun for a few days. Rotate them, so sunlight can hit all of the fruit. Keep them dry, IE evening dew, if you have a spot.
This apparently hardens the skin, and makes it less porous, so they don't rot or shrink. I can't say it will work for the type you have, but it's worth a try.

Latest posts