Lemon balm

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just noticed that the lemon balm I planted last year looks fantastic. It was practically buried under oak leaves all winter and I brushed them away and the plant looks big and wonderful. Should I be scared? Is it going to take over? Has anyone used it as a mosquito repellant? (Wikipedia says you rub the leaves on your skin for this use) What else is it good for besides tea?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine does pretty much zippo against mosquitoes, except for possibly the first 5-10 minutes. (P.s., yarrow either.)

It can be somewhat spready but not as bad as, like, spearmint.

Its main use in my garden is as refreshing entertainment when I'm weeding or edging... something to provide a diverting whiff of lemon along an otherwise dull-to-weed bed :p

Pat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Altho' I'm not much for the manicured look, I'm having some problems with it invading the lawn.

It is a very vibrantly pretty mint, however. But, it's not my cup-of-tea for flavor.

One thumb up, 2 thumbs down . . .

Steve's digits

Texas Fluffy Feet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have some lemon balm planted and it seems to come up in clumps rather than a viney type spread so it is easier to control IMO than most mints.

When I got it I was told the same thing that it would repel mosquitos- nope.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It does tend to spread.:( It would be a good plant for a container,away from the garden where the seeds won't land. Mine is already growing like a weed, and I have to hoe out the new plants to prevent the spread. I inherited the plant with the garden, when we bought the place, so the container idea was to late for me.

I suppose I could dig it all up, but I find that it is a great attractor of bees, and wasps to the veggie garden, which are beneficial, so for now it stays.

I have never used it for teas, or flavourings. Might have to try that. I do use a few chopped mint leaves added to a salad, which really makes for a nice flavour, but I don't know of lemon balm would work or not... It might make a nice sachet for an underwear drawer..:)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had the same issues with mints in the past and have found a pretty simple solution.

In the area that we want the mint to grow we dug into the ground these clay cylinders (which I'm not sure what they are or where they came from) that are about 14 inches in diameter and about 26 inches long. We kept about a 1-2 inch lip out of the ground and planted the mint inside. It grows well, keeps the mint in place and when the mint gets crowded (about every 2-3 years) we take it out, divide and make gifts for friends.

I suppose you could use any pot you have around the house, a clean 5 gallon bucket or the like. :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
bills said:
... It might make a nice sachet for an underwear drawer..:)
LOL, that's probably true!

Another one that is good for such a thing, & DW made it happen here, is Anise Hyssop. Makes the drawer and contents smell of licorice :).

Steve

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use mine for tea, it is suppose to be "calming" for the nerves. I also have Lemon Verbena, now that makes an excellent tea!!

The thing I find amazing is the ability for the tiny seeds to travel and come up in the most unlikely places! I give shovel rides all summer to my wandering little volunteers!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
In the area that we want the mint to grow we dug into the ground these clay cylinders (which I'm not sure what they are or where they came from) that are about 14 inches in diameter and about 26 inches long.
Drainage tiles! I betcha anything. Like for tiling fields. Yes, they can be really useful for mint. Also if you're lucky enough to have access to sections of smallish (1-2' diam) concrete culvert, that works well too.

There is a cool little "drain tile museum" in NY state, at the N end of one of the finger lakes, I forget which. Much more interesting than you might think, actually :)

Pat

Latest posts