Lemon Verbena for Cooking

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well drat!

I knew that I would likely have to look thru a CD to find a picture of my lemon verbena plant - so I went on a TEG search and came up with a broken picture link . . . I've talked about it before - on several herbal tea threads ;).

Well, I've got a plant. Two now - DW thought the old one was dying and bought me one for my birthday . . . 2 years ago. Not only did the old one not die but the new one is getting pretty big!

Of course, right now they are trimmed down to nothing and, in their big pots, have been moved to the floor of the greenhouse. They seem to be just fine in there. In fact, that older one was fine hibernating in my basement back when I was using that less-the-optimal winter location.

Anyway, I've got chicken bones in a pot on the stove with lots of veggies & lemon verbena this morning. It is real nice for stock - I much prefer it to lemongrass. I understand that lemon verbena is also used in candy-making . . .

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anti-oxidant qualities? I don't quite understand why it might be better than anything else. I mean, do they make extracts of broccoli and then claim value for the supplement?

I did see that some folks use it in a marinade! That sounds about right. Salmon is good baked with a couple sprigs of lemon verbena over the fillets. I prefer dill or lemon basil for that :).

Steve