let the seed-holic's meeting begin

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
hello, my name is Deb. i'm a seed holic & can't go very far lately without looking or buying new seeds that i don't really need!

went to the farmers market at my local greenhouse today & since my sister was nice to me at Xmas & gave me $50 in gift certificates. i felt the hole burning in my pocket to get some more seeds and spent about $28 on some i've been watching. i've been perusing Johnny's Seeds, FedCo & a few other local sites & already ordered a few packets from my fav online (ebay) seller Ohio Heirlooms.

this year i am not focused on any new tomato varieties. mostly i'm trying to replenish some seeds i'm getting low on-eggplant, lettuce, peppers, radish too. though i found an open pollinated sweet corn i will be growing. but if i do it beside my Glass Gem i need to get some supplies to keep them from cross pollinating. ooohh, so many plans for this year i don't know where to begin!

anyone else getting this stir crazy for the new seed starting/planting season to begin?!? :barnie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I AM thinking tomato fruit, Deb! Fruit in general but since I'd better not tamper much in the melon patch: tomatoes. I'll get to cucumbers and others before too long.

Fruit Punch, a pink cherry (link), looks like it's a real possibility and it's so attractive! Then, there's Plum Lemon (link) but the 81 days-to-maturity may make me look further once I can get my eyes off the Plum Lemon picture ... Here's another company that carries it (link). Other companies say it's a 75 day so, who knows!?

There's another: Amish Gold (link) or, maybe, Jaffa plum (link). I hope I can justify an order from Tomatofest this year.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plum Lemon i got as part of a Xmas gift in 2015 from my DH. he kept asking me if there was anything i needed & i gave him a list of some seeds i wanted.

try this if you want to try something similar but with only 65 days. Tsiris Ovyy Sad also known as Citrus Garden. can't seem to find much about it except what is on J & L Gardens description.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'smoma, you can separate your corn by timing. Figure out your last frost and first frost dates and how many growing days that leaves in between. Plant a round or two of sweet corn first since it matures quicker, maybe even choose one that germinates well in cooler temps so you can plant sooner. Wait 3 weeks, then plant your Glass Gem last, just be sure to leave enough time for the DTM for drying. It will probably dry better in late summer/fall conditions anyway. If your season is too short for both, then you can still plant side by side and just bag and hand-pollinate several ears of the Glass Gem. If your neighbors within a mile or so are growing corn, you'll want to bag and hand-pollinate anyway. That distance can be variable depending on the windiness where you are of if you're sheltered by trees, etc.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not me so much, but DH has it bad! ;) Stops and looks at seed every trip to Farm & Fleet and Theisen's . He already has tomatoes started!!!! They will be GIANT when it is time to set out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amishland Seeds has that Citrus Garden tomato.

Good Grief, she has lots of varieties!

Anyway, she described it twice as "late maturing" on her website. Probably along with the Plum Lemon, not one I should try to squeeze into my growing season but I'm curious about the differences in dtm. Did you grow the Plum Lemon last year, Chickie'sMoma?

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was planning on bagging & hand pollinating the corn this year, at least the top ears. there are a couple neighbors that grow corn so i want to keep everything pure to continue saving some for myself & maybe some to swap. the plan is to also bag some of the other plants to keep them from getting cross pollinated.

having access to the seed catalogs online isn't helping me from looking & revising my list of what i want to add this year. i have yet to buy from Johnny's & FedCo but i have lists going with both. i'm taking my Johnny's list down to Wentworth Greenhouse to see if they could order some of my list so i can save myself some money in shipping.

i've been eyeing this handy, dandy little see sowing device but that price is keeping me from getting it. instead i'm thinking of making something of my own & recycling some household items-i have lawnmower wheels & thought of getting some pvc pipe & drill holes in it where it could dispense seed as it turns.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-su...npoint-seeder-9285.html?cgid=four-row#start=1

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
sorry @digitS' i didn't get it in the pot to start last year. it will be on my list to grow with Korol Sibiri for yellow large tomatoes.

just went through my stash of tomato seeds & found i grew Plum Lemon in 2014! i tried saving some of the seeds so it must have done well enough to give me some decent tomatoes to save from. if you want i can send you some seeds of both the Plum Lemon & Tsiris Ovyy Sad (packet says 70 days)

Latest posts