Let's say You Don't have GPS &

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . let's say that the map you have fails to show where you are rambling, & let's say you are a guy - so you won't stop to ask directions. How do you get a map off the internet to take with you?

I used the Google map yesterday but when I clicked "print" - all I got was written instructions, no map.

When I reached one of those discombobulated intersections - it was one of those where 2 road intersect on one side of a set of railroad tracks & diverge on the other side - of course, I turned in the wrong direction. The written instructions didn't account for discombobulations and reading takes more than a glance to find a blue line on a grid. I had to pull off the road 3 times in 1 town!

I didn't found a way to print the actual map on Google maps. Went to MapQuest, laid out my same route, clicked the print button and the map pulled out to the entire United States and failed to print, anyway! Maybe I need some kind of premium service.

Went to Yahoo and seem to be able to copy the map but it is a very tiny portion of it.

Tried Bing and that looks like the best. The tiny portion situation is still there but Bing can give you multiple tiny portions. These are each of the multiple destinations if you include those addresses. See, you'd have to include the address of every turn :rolleyes:.

I mean, I've got a map of the nearest city. The destination is in a small town next door. I've got a whole book of maps for the state. Unfortunately, no streets are shown. Hey, there weren't even any buildings at the discombobulation, let alone a gas station!

Steve

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yahoo maps prints the map for me, you can hit the zoom in or out scale before printing to give as much detail or as much overview as you need. I personally almost never print the map out (I'm to cheap about the printer ink) I usually draw out a quick sketch version of the map w/ the bones of what I need to get the idea of where I am going. Usually the main streets I will be going down plus the street right before and after (a turn) so I know if I missed it or not.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've done that also, Kassaundra. It makes sense.

The little town only has 5,000 people.

It was big enuf that I couldn't zoom close enuf to have street names and see more than about one-third of the city. When I just now printed the Yahoo map, it only takes up one-half the piece of typing paper . . . I guess I could have 3 pages for the 1 little town.

Printer ink? I go the refill route - repeatedly. It will fail to fully load after a while but that last one . . . that'll be free ;).

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You don't really need color on a road map anyway. I have a black onlly printer and it prints the colored portions in graytone but I never have trouble reading them.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use mapquest... and check the 'print map' option to make sure I get the map with the written directions.

I also use Sprint GPS services on my Blackberry.... which are nice, but don't always work. (However, are more up to date then my Tom Tom ever is! :/ )

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
have you checked your settings? i found that the last time i updated my IE to #9 or #10 that it had too many issues. i have to use a mapping software program for what i do at work and Google Maps gave me issues with their print button not working when i upgraded the browser. guess i need to change one of the add-ons or part of the scripting is not enabled right.

i have found that if you right click in the area where the directions are listed you can preview both the map and the directions, but it may lose the total miles driven on the printed version. (the miles to each turn will not get lost) from the preview you will just click the print button and should print both the directions and the map.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I could also copy & print a screen shot . . . AND, why aren't I using this "snipping tool" program that came with the computer?? I forgot ALL about that. Hey! That worked pretty good . . . I was even able to enlarge it some for better viewing.

For browsers, usually, I'm on Firefox and sometimes, Chrome. You know - Google maps might work better on Chrome. They are from the same outfit, after all.

I guess I'm trying to get something for nothing. Altho', maps of small towns aren't all that easy to find, I wouldn't think.

"Free" is addicting, don't you know ;)?? I notice we aren't hearing so much lamenting about the lack of income the internet companies are getting these days. They have probably worked out the advertising real well by now. Lately, Google seems to know what I might want to buy even before an idea has fully occurred to me :rolleyes:.

Thank You Everyone, for sharing your thoughts on this subject :)!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I've got these directions right!

Just for fun . . . I linked a ♪ ♫ song ♪ ♫ to the directions but Fasten Your Seat Belt :D!

digitS'

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HAH, that's great!! Now...which TEG member will you be visiting or driving by on your way to Katmandu??

Latest posts