lettuce protection

pon521

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello friends! How are you doing? I struggle with a very typical problem..Animals! Some vermins are coming to my garden and they destroy everything, especially lettuce. I bought butterhead lettuce from https://gardenseedsmarket.com/butterhead-lettuce-rozalka.html and while it was sprouting quite long, when it became bigger something started to get interested in it. I am not surprised because I often had this problem but this time nothing will left if I won't act. What can I do?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you know which animal it is? Groundhog, rabbit, rat, deer, or something else? That could be important info but it's not always easy to determine without a trail camera.

You can try trapping or shooting but that's not always easy or appropriate, Besides, just because you remove one rabbit how do you know that's the one eating the lettuce? I went through that once, trapped and shot 16 rabbits i my garden before I got the last one that was eating my beans as they sprouted.

Since it is an animal the best protection is probably barriers. What kind of barriers depends on the culprit. Some can climb, jump or crawl under. If you kind of clear out an area and level it, then cover it with flour you might be able to identify tracks. Or do you see scat? That can identify it too.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@pon521 , first it really helps when you put your location or zone in your profile. Many people either cage in the plant or cage out the pest. Chicken wire and hardware cloth are pretty cheap to use. You WILL need a good pair of wire cutters.
Also, I would plant catnip and attract cats to kill your vermin.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello friends! How are you doing? I struggle with a very typical problem..Animals! Some vermins are coming to my garden and they destroy everything, especially lettuce. I bought butterhead lettuce from https://gardenseedsmarket.com/butterhead-lettuce-rozalka.html and while it was sprouting quite long, when it became bigger something started to get interested in it. I am not surprised because I often had this problem but this time nothing will left if I won't act. What can I do?
To keep animals out of your vegetable garden, apply a spray that's designed to deter animals, such as coyote urine spray, around the edges of your garden. You can also include plants in your garden that most animals don't like, such as boxwood, marigolds, or daffodils

Latest posts