Lickbranchfarm's 2018 Garden thread

Like most I am itching to get started In the garden. Our garden consist of roughly 1.5 - 2 acres, depending what's In season. I try to incorporate enough to be used by my family, plus sell at the local famers market to help off-set some cost. I do my gardening with a tractor, a 1956 Farmall Super A, it was restored by my son and I, and a rear tine Roto-tiller. You'll notice my rows are a little wider than the average gardener's for the fact I use row hipper's, and 3 point cultivators for weed control.
2017 Okra.....
IMG_1094.JPG

And by the end of the growing season....
IMG_1161.JPG

We sell a lot of Okra, on 4 rows alone I could get a 5 gallon bucket every other day. I'm thinking of planting 8 rows this year, only because I plan to pickle a lot more. For me,Okra is a real low maintenance plant, as long as you keep the weeds out and watered, the hotter it gets, the better it grows.

I'm working on expanding my corn field right now, last year it was 20' x 50' which equaled to about 10 -50' rows. I'm looking to make it 1/4 acre this year.
IMG_1126.JPG

My tomato's and peppers are going to be in a separate area from my squash and Zucchini this year. I usually have one area with just squash, Zucchini, and cucumbers, and a plant in 3 week intervals, so as one rows going down hill, another is coming on. We sell a lot of squash, but more zucchini.
IMG_1125.JPG

Peas, and beans...If I can stay ahead of the deer, we usually do o.k. Last year I didn't get not 1 pea out of my garden before I got frustrated and disked them in, and planted my collards on top of them. Had excellent collards by thanksgiving.
IMG_1095.JPG

Georgia Collards...
IMG_1315.JPG

I know its a little long winded, but These are just a few things I'm planning to do different this year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful!!

I'd love seeing your old tractor. I have a '58 Farmall Cub. She's pretty much a glorified wheelbarrow, I tow an old pickup bed trailer around behind her with pen cleanings, and bales of hay to the stack. But she can't handle too much of a load without a lot of smoking. An engine rebuild is in the plans but somehow never gets to the top of the list.

Beautiful!!

I'd love seeing your old tractor. I have a '58 Farmall Cub. She's pretty much a glorified wheelbarrow, I tow an old pickup bed trailer around behind her with pen cleanings, and bales of hay to the stack. But she can't handle too much of a load without a lot of smoking. An engine rebuild is in the plans but somehow never gets to the top of the list.

Their tough old tractors, I love mine, here's a pic of when I bought it, when we tore it down and what it looks like now.

IMG_0623.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's really something!

You are making good good use of the equipment and .

.. that's an absolutely HUGE garden!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really nice garden! I bought okra last year from a local guy, picked that morning. Buying okra was so easy, got it all put up in a day-done! I'm not going to plant any this year and use my garden space for something else.

Have you thought about fencing in the peas and putting a yappy dog in it to keep out the deer? A bushel of shelled purple hull peas brings $30-$45 in Tyler! How much do they sell for there?

Latest posts