Lickbranchfarms 2019 garden thread

Well, with all the rain its made it tough to do anything in the big garden. I did cut all the dead Asparagus back. Plan to add another round of wood chips to the top soon. Fire ants had taken up residence on one corner so I had some stuff the Linemen guys use around transformers, good stuff! Anyway me and my side kick hooked up the trailer to the 4-wheeler and started picking up rocks in the Okra field. I wouldn't dare take the tractor out there now, but once it dry's a little more I will disc it up and again pick up rocks. We took a load down to the creek, and added them to our grown swimming hole. Its not much, something to create a pool to get in and cool off. This is the creek I named my farm after. Its Beautiful during the fall.

The new barn I had built took up a lot of my time this past fall, put a lot of money in it, but it passed inspection, and I now have electricity on the farm. I will be building some sort of seed starting rack and keeping it there. Don't expect anything elaborate cause Im pressed for time as it is Lol. This will allow me to start a lot more seeds, and be more selective in what I plant this year.

I learned some things last year that I am going to change for this season. The biggest being corn, Im not going to plant as much of it as I have in the past. I think im going to focus my efforts on 1 small plot, maybe 10 rows, 20' long. That would definitely be easier to care for than a 1/4 acre field. Plus the corn I grow is just utilized by us, we don't sell corn.

Okra, im going to use the entire small garden for Okra this year. I had 10 rows last year, I should be able to do 20 in this garden.

Squash and Zucchini... probably will stick with planting 2 rows of each, every 2 weeks. That seems to keep the squash bugs happy. Speaking of that, Im coming out the gate this year with the advise from Bee about spraying with soapy water at the first site of the pest.

Cucumbers...Im not planting 2 kinds this year. Sticking with Pickle bush. The one row I had last year completely surprised me at the yield. I think I'll start with 2 rows early, I can get rid of a lot of cucumbers before it gets hot.

Tomatoes....Sticking with Cherokee purples, Better boys, Brandywines, and going to try some type of Roma this year, just for sauce.

Peppers.....Bells and Bananas, Jalapeno's as usual, but I may try Highlanders for something with a kick. If I can get them built, I want to try and get all my peppers in raised beds this year.

Potatoes....I think im going to plant a few rows of potatoes this year. One row of reds, and another row of sweet potatoes. Simply because I've heard how easy they are to grow, and we love them, plus I need to use the old corn field for something.

Anyway, It seems like garden season is months away, but it is so easy for me to get behind real quick if I don't use my time wisely. Here's to everyone having a safe and productive garden season in 2019!

IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your garden space is so large. And the woods nearby are lovely. What a fun way to 'harvest' from the garden in the winter.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lickbranchfarm i'm not sure what you mean about cucumbers if you mean the yeild was good or poor? ours have always done well. probably the easiest thing we ever have grown.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes - I did Romas and Pink Icicle last year. The pinks produced slightly fewer - but larger fruit with more meat and less 'snot'. They also peeled wonderfully whereas the Romas had a spot on every 3rd or 4th one that refused to come loose and had to be trimmed.
@thejenx mentioned Cow Tit last week and I've been looking for them as they are supposed to be a superior paste tomato.

Last edited:

@Lickbranchfarm i'm not sure what you mean about cucumbers if you mean the yeild was good or poor? ours have always done well. probably the easiest thing we ever have grown.

I was referring to a good yield. I planted the straight eights and pickle bush variety. The pickle bush yield was far greater than the straight eight hands down.

Love the grinning sidekick!

He was tickled over his new work gloves. I had been promising him a good pair for a long time but with his little hands, all I could find were the cheap batman or Spiderman gloves. When he seen a real pair of leather john deer gloves, he was tickled to death, just had to get them dirty like poppas LOL.

I had hoped by now to be done with the new chicken coop and run, but truth is I barely got past the foundation last year. This year I have 3 big goals, the first have a sustained flock of poultry before the end of the year, coop, run the whole 9 yards. 2nd is adding a hutch for quail, just because they are delicious Lol. 3rd is to house a few rabbits, they will be for fertilizer for now, but later I will be adding a New Zealand White bred for meat production.
The next big goal is to clear the land I have designated for pasture. I'd like to keep some 4-6 head of cattle. I will keep 3 to butcher for me, my son and daughter, and my soon to be daughter in-laws family. The others will be sold. I have a total of 8 acres in 2 different areas designated for pasture, and another 15 acres Im looking at buying that borders my land. I can get another 8 acre pasture in there. Its like eating an elephant, 1 bite at a time.