lifespan of pine raised beds?

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How many years am I likely to get from raised beds constructed of douglas fir 2" x 8"'s before they rot away? Using this material is so much cheaper than Trex or cedar.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used pine for mine, I just built them though over the winter. I wasn't sure how many years I'll get. Its all reclaimed untreated 2x4s. Just to try to get more life out of them I stained and sealed just the outsides to stop any chemicals from leaching into the soil.

I would hope for at least 10 years or more. However, I am new at this and am unsure of things like this.

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
well, i have raised pine beds, going on my 6th year and still look like day 1 ;)

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Woo Hoo! I am going for it! Thanks Gazinga. This is going to be soooo much cheaper and easier than any alternative.

muddler6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I had one made out of untreated 2x6's and I sold the house after 7 years, and I am sure they are still there, I would use exterior grade screws to put it together or at least galvanized nails.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thre is a color difference too; we have beds made from both. We have an aspragus bed made from fir that has weathered to a soft grey shade; our trex beds will have not faded and are still their original redish brown color. Both are fine,

Phyllis