Lighting for starts

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, I set up an awesome light system for my starts this year. Total cost "$12"!

But the bulb I had on hand is wrong. Its a natural light tube light, but its only 20 watts and its not cutting it. What kind of bulb and wattage do I need to supply my babies with enough light to grow strong and not leggy?

Thanks!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
:caf That smiley is soooo right! I am sitting in my recliner drinking my coffee! I use two 4' shop lights, but don't know the wattage or anything. I probably would get better seedlings if I paid attention to it more. So far, it works, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@vfem where is your picture? I'll show you mine....... the squash to the left go outside, but are in for cold weather.

Seedlings 2014.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are some people on here that can tell you exactly how many lumens you need and in what wave spectrum. I’m not one of those. I mainly wanted to say it’s good to see you back on here.

My set-up is similar to Bay’s but I have a lot less seedlings so only one light with two bulbs. I did add white paper along the sides to try to reflect more of the light back to keep them from being quite so spindly. It’s not working great yet but I think that’s because they are so small. I think it will work better when I raise the light and get better reflection. Some light from the side could help them not get so leggy.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's my light set up the day I got it done, I haven't taken another photo since I got the seeds going and they're sprouted. This was probably 2 weeks ago or so. Nothing impressive I don't start much at home except my special tomatoes, chilis and my cabbage/cauliflower because I hate paying for those starts.

1897015_10152194903377440_711173212_n.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@vfem that looks good to me! I am going to have to rethink my seed start ups. As I go more and more to starting seeds, instead that handy 6 or 9 pack from the store, I need more room! :barnie

I am trying to break away from the "convenience packs" and whatever variety some one else has decided one-size-fits-all. I am trying different varieties to find those perfect fits for me and my growing area. What fun!! :weee

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:frow .. I use 40 watt cool white bulbs, as close to the plants as possible, 16 hours a day. Has worked great for me for many years.
You could try a foil shade to reflect more light down.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I lowered the light more then what it shows there, but already my cabbage is leggy and touching the light that is only like 1-1.5" about the starts? That's what I was trying to keep from happening. I was hoping that huge mirror would be of some help. lol

You're set up looks fine to me, and the starts look my tougher then mine already.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My name is Baymule and I am a TEG'er. I just went to Lowes and got another shop light. There are now 3 lights covering my breakfast table.......need more potting soil and more plants.....

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use 4' 40 watt plant/aquarium florescence lights.
Had this setup for a few years and it works for me.

THANX RICH

Latest posts