Ligustrum?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I bought a nice size about 8 ft Ligustrum today on clearance at lowes. It was only like 20 bucks and I thought it was a good deal at the time. But I didn't know what it was when I bought it I thought it would be a large shrub big tree and the guy said it smelled good. So high on the smell of my tea olive I bought it only to bring it home and find nothing good about it on the internet. Anybody got any experiences with it? I already have a treed lot and don't need any large trees I was really hoping for a bush/shrub when I bought it.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ligustrum is a small tree when left to it's natural growth, usually 12 feet or so but it is easily sheared or pruned to any size. I never found the smell of the blossoms very attractive but the bees seem to like it.
It can be used as a hedge plant or shaped into a topiary in any shape you wish. I've seen it as a globe, heart shaped and I once trained one with two bare trunks for legs and shaped like a wading bird about 6 feet high. I finally got talked into selling it to a landscape company.

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I grew up in Fla and they were one of the most frequent landscaping shrubs. I liked it and it makes pretty flowers, with a light scent.
It does become a small tree if you let it and I have climbed old ones when I needed to get on the roof. It was probably 15 feet tall, but had been growing half of forever. They can be trimmed pretty easily and grew fast.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Hoodat, please tell me you have a picture of your "bird"???
I think I used to have one but I have no idea where it is. That was around 30 years ago when I still had my plant nursery.
Come to think of it I mis spoke. It was eugenia I made that bird out of but it could just as easily have been done with ligustrum.

Latest posts