Like to Compare your Climate?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course there are important variables.

If we are just thinking about our annual gardens - we are mostly concerned with the growing season. I appreciate the information you can find on Wikipedia on climates for many cities using data from weather.com. That gives us a look at precipitation, for example.

I don't have to think too much about precipitation during the the 3 months of summer here since -- there is so dang little of it! But, I've got irrigation.

Warmth makes a difference and the Weather Service provides us with information on Growing Degree Days. You can look here and, hopefully, your community is listed .(CLICK). Perhaps you would like to know a little about how much difference there is between Winslow, Arizona and Flagstaff, Arizona. Well, it's a lot - and both cities are on the list.

Maybe, you have lived in Nashville, TN and planning to move to Helena, MT and you are wondering about how your favorite crop, corn, is going to do in your new location. And, that is kind what the list is measuring -- corn growing conditions but there are quite a few crops that have similar warmth requirements. You can keep in mind that corn for grain takes about 2700 Growing Degree Days to mature. So, you are going to have some trouble growing corn for grain in Helena but, maybe, you can get a crop of tender sweet corn harvested before September.

There might be some surprises. I mean, some of you might think that you can grow anything in Florida or California for example. But, if you want to grow corn in Crescent City, on the northern coast of California -- forget about it!! The plants just don't have enuf warmth to mature a crop even if the days between frosts are many.

Now, not all cities are represented on that list. That's where weather.com can be of help again (CLICK). Just type in your zipcode and the dates and see what they can tell you. You can compare the warmth between different years. For example, you know you had enuf days and warmth to grow Honeydew Melons in 1997 but they failed in 2010 - you may get an idea of what went wrong.

You can also compare international cities on the weather.com site. I like to compare my community with Burgos, Spain! Yeah :). Unfortunately, I can't because that city in the mountains of northern Spain isn't listed :/ . . . Neither is my cousin's home in Merlin, Oregon. But, there are lots of places that weather.com can find for you.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in trouble, I was going to grow some flint corn but it looks like I won't have enough growing degree days for it to finish. The first chart has nothing in north Idaho, but I suppose we may not be too different than Idaho Falls (?). And... depressingly, last year we got 1676.5 growing degree days , and the forecast for this year is only 1351. :(
Good information Steve, even if reality messes up my big plans!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle', I am going to grow a little Painted Mountain flour corn again this year.

I can't say that I had amazing success when I've grown it before. The ears were certainly a little ways from dry when the frost hit but by giving it a lot of air (pulling back the husks, tying, and hanging) the Painted Mountain, at least didn't mold .

Amazing growth to that corn . . . it can really makes a good start in cool conditions.

Forecasts? You mean weather.com forecasts the Growing Degree Days for the year?! I wouldn't trust 'em for that :/.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beavis, you have a very nice warm climate with a long growing season. The Weather Service doesn't count temperatures below 50F or above 86F for the growing of corn or comparable crops.

Wikipedia has information on the formula that the Weather Service uses to add up Growing Degree Days. It really does have a lot to do with growing a crop but it isn't perfect because it can't take into account things like rainfall, irrigation, windstorms, etc.

Painted Mountain is an interesting variety in that it was developed by a guy in Montana pushing the limits of where corn can be grown. Here is his story (CLICK). I just wanted the ears for ornamental use; it is beautiful. I think, it might have made good flour corn.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Painted Mountain is an interesting variety in that it was developed by a guy in Montana pushing the limits of where corn can be grown. [

Steve
That's an exciting story behind the corn, and I'll order some and try that this year instead of the flint corn variety I was planning on growing. Funny how I missed that in the catalogs since I have a lot of the ones it's listed in. I ordered a watermelon variety that I'm excited about this year. It's called Blacktail Mountain and was developed by a guy just up the road here in N.I. back in 1978. It's an early one that's sweet and also can be stored for a couple of months with no loss of quality. I love these small seed developer success stories, and how they are developing varieties that do well in diverse environments. Thanks for the heads up on the Painted Mt. corn Steve. :)