"LIMONCELLO" & other Liqueurs, Cordials etc.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there! :frow

This drink I used to have a lot when I worked in Italy. I didn't realise that you could make it yourself until a friend told me that his parents make their own. It is perfect on a summer's evening after a busy day & it would make a great gift. :D

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/513100

I would use un-waxed organic lemons. I bet some of you have your own lemon trees...............Hmmmm! (mine is only 8 inches tall). JEALOUSY is a terrible thing............ :barnie

Having made your limoncello give my recipe in "GREAT DESERTS DISHES" post #7 a try! :ya (Sorry I don't know how to link)

[edited to include other liqueurs & cordials etc.]

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK this is too wierd for words my friend just yesterday gave me some fresh picked lemons from his trip to Fresno and I just this morning read through pages of a thread on a cooking board I belong to about making this drink ..I have made it before but wanted to refine my technique!

seriously I just spent a couple of hours reading and then came here and found this ..how funny

great minds!!!!
this is one of my favorite drinks and I had considered starting a thread on making cordials here!

how funny!!!!

and so good! it is wonderful in iced tea! but i love it on the rocks with an extra squeeze of lemon

my batch starts tomorrow ..this is really wierd you know! lemons yesterday reading about the process and voila a thread is started by Hattie!!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
if you can not find unwaxed lemons just wash them well in hot soapy water and then dry them they are fine that way ..

do the scratch test before you buy them ..since the flavor for this drink is in the rind you want the rinds to be very fragrant and ..well lemony!!!!

I am still reeling over the irony here :)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow HiDelight :frow

Great minds think alike. :gig :gig I always want lemony things in summer but it is a strange coincidence that you were checking a recipe for it at the same time. I make a lot of cordials, liqueurs & ratafias etc. Have you ever made green walnut liqueur? I have only made it once after I picked green walnuts in California & carried them back to the UK. They are nearly impossible to get here. This year I intend to make Mulberry Ratafia if my mulberry tree crops well. :fl :fl I have a good lot of elder-flowers on my trees but it's raining here or I would have made the cordial today. You have to pick them when they are dry otherwise they seem to taste different/not so good!

I can see this summer is going to be very busy!

wifezilla

I think limes would make an interesting version --- GO FOR IT........!!

We must compare notes throughout the summer.

Happy Collecting & brewing! ;)

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we should start a thread of cordials, liqueurs & ratafias for sure then I have also made them since I figured out how!

I have not made green walnut liqueur but do love it so I should try there are walnut trees near me that are free for the grabbing do you know when I can pick them for the liqueur?

and the mulberries I never thought to make a drink out of them I always dry them to use in Persian recipes

I am going to make a rhubarb cordial, some blackberry of course and some herbal infusions

I get a little crazy with the booze :)

when I see Everclear or Absolute 100proof on sale I stock up and people really look at my cart :p

I figure let them look! if they knew what I was doing the jeasousy would ensue!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love anything in VODKA!!! :lol: (Espcially citris!)

I think we should have a thread called: "What from your garden did you mix in your VODKA?" :lol: :lol:

I am going to try this this weekend! :drool Can't wait!

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
How weird I just watched :pop "Under The Tuscan Sun" and was just wandering about this drink.

I will definately have to make this!!! Thanks:love

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was watching that too!!!

:gig

we should start a thread of cordials, liqueurs & ratafias for sure then I have also made them since I figured out how!
Yes, we do. I had successfully made a few. Homemade Baileys is one. Homemade Kahlua is another that turns out quite well.

Latest posts