Look! I have artichokes!

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
8005_007.jpg

I really just wanted to show someone before I had to cut their lovely heads off. This is my first time growing artichokes... I never thought I could. I thought you had to be in a more coastal climate, but apparently not. My tractor scarecrow has been diligently watching over my garden. :D The artichokes will now be added to my harvest basket.

8005_harvest_basket.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not had Artichoke for over 35 years! LOL.
LOVE the scarecrow and your quote at the bottom of the page. :gig
(I always said the only good groundhog is a dead one!)

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comments!

I have to say I cheated a bit on these... I bought them (there's another plant that's out of the picture) from Fresno Ag when they were about 4" tall, so I didn't grow them from seed like most the other things in my garden. The gophers took out every baby hollyhock I had growing 4' away from this spot in early March. I bought them a couple weeks after that and figured that the gophers would go for these too. So, I wasn't ever really thinking they would get to maturity. There are about 10 baby artichokes going up and down the stalks too. I would like to say I got rid of the offending gophers... but every time I say that, they show back up and take out a whole patch of something or other just to show me who's boss. :barnie
I did try to make the artichokes feel at home, however. There is a fishing net hanging up on the wooden fence to their right, I surrounded them with all the seashells and rocks my family and I collected from the beach last summer, and I planted ice plant so that it is growing out from under the tractor. I tell them they are in Monterey every morning... maybe they believed me! :lol:

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ohh those artichokes are so cool! And what is that funky shaped red and green thing in your basket? Tomato? pepper?

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yep, that is a mutant tomato. The plant came from a pack of seed I got on Amazon for 30 cents.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aren't those artichoke fields near Monterey strange-looking ;)?

You did good, Steph!

They are one of my favorite foods! I wish I had some confidence they would be worth trying here . . .

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If there is a neater plant- I don't know what it is! Let us know how delicious they are!

Latest posts