Look What's Popping Up!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My little Snowdrops by the front door.
This seems really early, but I never write anything down so who knows?

20180205_113717.jpg

Anything starting to push up where you are?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
not yet. we just got a foot of snow and the temps are going to be single digits some evenings.

microclimate along a wall?

Yes. East facing by the front door. We've had a few days of sunshine and the temps have been high 30s and mid 40s.
It's nice to see, but I feel a little cheated. Hardly got to use my kicksled at all. :(

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom So nice to see the first snowdrops popping up it means spring is just around the corner. I have 5 different kinds, two of them are at about the same stage as yours, two are in full bloom and I'm not sure about the double flowering ones, haven't ventured that far up the path yet.
What I do have in full bloom is my wintering flowering Jasmine, this shrub can be in full bloom here as early as November or as late as March depending on what kind of winter we're having. This picture was taken from the porch about 10 minutes ago. It's getting on in age, a cutting was planted in the 60's and it's still going strong. Each year we take the hedge trimmer to it and really scalp it around the end of March and then it looks like this in full bloom.
DSCN6469.JPGDSCN7115.JPG

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
microclimate along a wall?
I was on my way out to the car this morning, trying to stay off the muddy path. I thought about walking near the house on a bed with bark. I'd have to be careful about the iris there. Then, I realized that the wood hyacinth are coming up!

They aren't as far along, by any measure, as your snowdrops, Thistle'. Still, they have emerged a little along that west wall.

The WS says that the temperatures are 10° above normal. That should hold thru the workweek. Have you noticed that snow and rain tend to come on weekends, this winter?

Anyway, there is a lovely sunset this afternoon!

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts