Looking for Sewing help!?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HI, I love sewing! What a cute project for fall.
Usually on patterns, when it says 'fold', you place the pattern on the fold of the fabric. Your cut fabric piece will be twice the size when you open it. Then you'll fold it right sides together to do your 1/4 inch seam on the rough 'open' side. Does that make sense?
I may have to try these, thanks for the idea!:)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's what I thought, but it doesn't look right when I sew it together?!

Assuming that I fold the fabric, and cut it out with the fold, I end up with a heart shaped type piece. Then I fold fabric (inside out) with right sides together 1/4" seam allowance and all.

Now when it says 'gather' the bottom 'raw edge', what does that mean?! Its more then just sewing it together right?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
But seriously... aren't these the CUTEST!!!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After you seam the open side... To gather, run a long basting stitch, either with machine or by hand close to the raw edge, 1/4 inch or so.... on the larger side of the tube like piece. (top of the apple) The stitches would be just through the one layer of fabric, all around the circle, not stitching it shut. Then gather the fabric by pulling the threads and pushing the fabric so it gathers up. Push the raw edge in, so it's hidden, and hand stitch it shut.
Then you would do the same with the botom. Run your basting stitches before you stuff it, I think would be easier.
Oh, I have to try one!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Ducks....

Did you notice that BYC isn't loading and is giving 'line' errors everytime I try to load?!

I couldn't finish responding to everyone!?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yeah--I noticed THAT, too.
I copied my answer below:
Sounds like a BUTTERICK pattern to me--NEVER use that brand--hate 'em, 'cause they assume you understand steps that are left OUT....then they leave THOSE steps out!! This is what these instructions have done to you.

What I see is a page with 2, Separate, pattern pieces
(1) apple--the squarish, rounded edge pattern piece
(2) the "eye-shaped" piece for the apple's LEAF

You have (inadvertantly) cut an apple colored piece of fabric using the Leaf pattern. I DON'T like their instructions--here's what I'd do.

For the Leaf(ves):
1) Trace pattern
2) Cut two eye-shaped pieces of fabric (for each leaf)
3) Hand stitch DART, as shown in the picture
4) Sew the 2 pieces together, by machine, leaving about an inch open to put in stuffing
5) Stuff with batting or, fabric scraps, or, even rags
6) Hand stitch opening closed
7) Repeat above to make second leaf
**Do not gather the leaf--MY apple trees do NOT have rippled leaves at the stems, so your fabric apples don't have to have it either!!
For the Apple:
1) Fold and iron fabric
2) Trace pattern 2 times on fabric, putting fold line on the fold of the fabric
3) Cut
4) Begin at bottom of apple, pin and machine stitch two pieces together. This is approximately a 215 degree angle (It MIGHT help if you stitch one line straight, finish, then stitch the other straight line.) Leave BOTTOM OPEN
5) Stuff
6) Hand stitch bottom closed

to FINISH:
Attach leaves by hand sewing

FYI:
1) Surge edges, if desired
2) Use a crayon or fabric pencil (dark for light fabric, light for dark fabric) and pin pattern to fabric, then trace.

(This way you won't destroy the pattern.)

I used to sew a lot more, BUT, my DD's (especially one of them) creates fantasy costumes for Anime conventions. She constantly reworks patterns to make them look right and has learned through doing.

HOPE THIS HELPS!! :hugs

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I want you to know I did fold and iron the leaves nicely! MUCH better looking then just gathering it up and crinkling it.

I didn't bunch the bottom either. I folded into like 1/8th over lapping folds and its much more appropriate looking!!! :D

I really wanted the clean look of their apples in the photo, which I guarentee their's were NOT as simply done. (And I didn't use any glue, that's not what I would do to give these to anyone.)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I spent way to much time getting this right!

apple_pattern_attempt1.jpg

Now I feel more comfortable doing the patchwork ones I want to do as gifts. I'll clean them up some of course. :D

Thanks sooooooo much!!!

Latest posts