Looking forward to St Patrick's Day?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Man, I thought you were gonna mention something about corned beef and cabbage, the food not a musical group!!!

THANX RICH

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I look forward to it only in hopes of being able to plant the first of my spring peas. Not that they ever do better than the ones planted later in the spring, but "TRADITION" is a hard taskmaster.

Then comes "ELECTION DAY" for starting cabbage seeds and "GOOD FRIDAY" for planting potatoes. Hum. April 14 just might make it with spuds this year. (Fingers crossed).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Renee Fleming.
So, is "Fleming" an Irish name?

Asking for my grandmother, who claimed she was from an Irish family ... I fell for it briefly. Until, the idea of who the "Flemish people" from the land of Flanders, got through ;).

Funny that Danny Thomas used that song throughout his tv career. Danny Thomas, Lebanese American from Toledo.

Every time I feel close to tracing an ancestor to Ireland, I'm stymied by a name origin. Often, we don't have much more than a name, maybe some dates, carrying a tiny bit of information, from earlier centuries.

I believe I have come across a German from Saxony. Which is only somewhat different from a Saxon from Anglo land ... who is probably 4/5th Celtic, anyway! There we go!

We will have Spaghetti and Meatballs for dinner but shouldn't it be Spinach Pasta with Pesto? How about zucchini noodles? So, do Americans recognize wasabi or is it just horseradish with food dye?

@ChickenGrass should know, Americans all think of themselves as Irish on St Patrick's Day :). It only took about 200 years ... but, there is still confusion ;).

Steve

ChickenGrass

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Fleming can be common in Ireland,
But it actually dosent originate from here!
It's from Belgium/Netherlands.
@digitS' meatballs sounds nice!
Today I will be having spaghetti bolganase,
Not very traditional ;)
But as you probably know a traditional dish in Ireland,
For st.Patricks day is bacon and cabbage or Irish Stew.
Is anyone going to a parade today?
Here in Ireland they are well underway as its 14:32.
I decided to stay at home though by the warm stove :D

Fionn.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The parade here was last weekend and I was entangled in it briefly passing through town on the way to visit my father in the hospital.

We are sending a "Pacific Northwest Intercollegiate Band" to Dublin's St. Patrick's Day Parade! Yeah.

Seems that finals week, the college basketball championships and a snow storm in the Northeast all combined to interfere but if you have that parade televised, @ChickenGrass , you will see some representation from this corner of the world :D. Oh, and they are joining @canesisters 's representatives from Norfolk Virginia on the parade route.

Steve