Lost my best friend yesterday :(

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to have my dog, Boogie (aka. Sierra), put to sleep yesterday evening. She started throwing up and couldn't keep water down and got very dehydrated and weak. I had noticed her declining over the past month or so, but attributed it to the fleas. I have heard that fleas will swarm a dog that is ill, so maybe that is why. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, to make that call, but she went quickly and peacefully. I'm thankful my husband was able to leave work and come with me. My MIL kept the kids overnight.

We also lost my other dog, Dana, a couple of days before Christmas a few years ago. That made it especially rough. :hit

She was the end of an era for me. Any we get after this will be more the kids' dog, I'm sure. We grew up together and she was my dog, my furr-baby before I had human babies. She comforted me through a lot of rough spots and changes in my life. Helped me find the good sense to walk away from a bad relationship that would have probably ruined my life (he was prejudiced against pitbulls and really made an *ss of himself over me getting her.) We took many long walks and hikes together. When she got too old to take walks, she'd follow me around the backyard as I did my chores. Everywhere I was, she was always at my feet. She loved to cuddle and would shamelessly steal your blanket. We had her longer than we thought we would with this cancer she fought for 4 years. I suspect it was the cancer had finally metastasized. She won over many new friends, loved a couple of cats, and brought much joy to many kids and her family.

20161214_131617.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, I'm so sorry! And to have it happen this close to Christmas makes it even more poignant. She sounds like a great friend, and I bet she would thank you for allowing her to go when she needed to, without suffering any more.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh @journey11 , I am so sorry. I have had one of those wonderful fur babies. I know the pain and the loss and the empty spots in the house and that vacant space just slightly behind and beside you...
I'm very very sorry.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Journey, sending you the biggest of :hugs, I think I know exactly how you're feeling, I had a little 2 year old pom cross given to me when I was 10, it was at a very sad time in my life, she saw me through that and some rough teenage years, saw me married to the best man ever and loved our three as they arrived on the scene. I had her for 19 years before the day came I had to say goodby. To this day saying goodbye to her was and is one of the toughest things I've ever had to do. Cherish the memories.

:hugs,
Annette

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
THE LAST BATTLE
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can’t be won.

You will be sad I understand,
But don’t let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn’t want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they’ll tend.

Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been savd.

Don’t grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We’ve been so close — we two — these years,
Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

~Author Unknown