Lots of green cayenne peppers

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got worried about frost, which of course, didn't happen and now have a lot of green cayenne peppers. Does any one have any ideas on what I could do with them? Will they ever turn red like tomatos do?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They're pretty easy to pickle. just wash them and stuff them into a mason jar and pour boiling vinegar over them. You can use the vinegar with oil if you like hot vinnegarette or just use the whole pepper in cooking. If you are using one or two to cook with there won't be enough vinegar taste to notice.

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Hoodat- That sounds awesome. I appreciate you sharing all your knowledge. The internet is such a great tool. With you in CA and me in IN, we would never have a chance to communicate otherwise!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just put mine in a freezer bag and into the freezer. I wil them pop out a few as a need them over the winter.

oberhaslikid

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You can string them with needle and thread and hang them to dry.They will turn red as they dry.

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
all good suggestions, we typically grind them and make a green hot sauce..ever been to a restuarant that had a red and a grenn habanero sauce? same thing...can't throw out all those wonderful green peppers...

On canning them with Oil and vinegar, one should take care that 2 tablespoons of oil is added to each pint for safety. ;)

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
UMMMMM, I need to try fermented salsa. I am hungry just thinking about it.....

Latest posts