low temp germination grass

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We just got the soil graded around the new house, so we need to get something germinating in the ground. It's already gotten chilly out here, and it's going to be getting colder. What's the best low-temp germinating seed?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
From experience ... I would recommend that you NOT seed any grasses until the majority of the newly ( will ) sprouted weeds of Fall/ Winter/ Spring are properly disposed of then and only then seed whatever lawn that you desire. Unless one desires to be on one's hands and knees pulling up endless supply of weeds in the new lawn .

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might check out winter rye. Its a traditional winter ground cover though I dont know how well it will germinate and actually grow where you are this time of year. If you can get some to sprout, the roots should help slow down erosion this winter.

Another option might be to just spread some straw over it to reduce the erosion and keep it from being as muddy, then seed in the spring. You might chat with a local lawn care company and get their suggestions, especially of you might be buying seeds form them or they think they might get some work.

Sod is normally your best bet but this time of year and it not established., Id be concerned it would just freeze out and die.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
bobm said:
From experience ... I would recommend that you NOT seed any grasses until the majority of the newly ( will ) sprouted weeds of Fall/ Winter/ Spring are properly disposed of then and only then seed whatever lawn that you desire. Unless one desires to be on one's hands and knees pulling up endless supply of weeds in the new lawn .
As someone who wouldn't have any lawn if it weren't for weeds - this cracks me up. :lol:
In my world, if it's green and can be cut with a lawnmower, it's lawn.
Not picking on ya :hugs - if I had any time/money to put into a 'real' lawn I probably would.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Funny, because I'm right with you Cane and NYBoy! I think it would be a losing battle to try and fight the weeds out here because our whole "yard" is about 12 acres! Luckily, we only are trying to seed about an acre & a half. We just want to get something on the ground. We naturally have a lot of topsoil and are on a bit of a hill, so we don't want it to wash away over the winter. DH is pretty set on getting some seed in the ground, so we'll see. I'll be happy when the clover spreads on through. When the bees are happy, I'm happy! :D

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You might want to try annual winter rye. Just broadcast the seed and cover with a light layer of wheat straw or something similar just to hold the seed in place in case of heavy rain. I have good success with this in the past. As long as you mow in the spring before it has a chance to set seed you shouldn't have a problem and it will serve the purposes you want for now; it will germinate and grow and prevent erosion over the winter.

Latest posts