Lowe's brand cow manure questions?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Anybody use this? Is it equal or similar to the Black Cow Brand? I use the BCB for my roses and they love it! but it is so expensive and As my garden grows I can't keep buying that much. So I want to look at the Lowes brand which is half the price but don't want to if it is worthless. So if you use it give me a review.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cow manure is great but a lot of it these days comes from feed lots so you shouldn't use it if your soil contains excessive salts.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Its mostly for my flowers. I tell you my knock out roses absolutely love it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could try finding a source for rabbit manure. Rabbit doodie is a good non-burning manure that does not have to be composted before use, and contains no weed seed. Go to a feed store and check out the message board for people who raise rabbits, you can probably find someone who will sell it cheaply. Or maybe you can barter for collard greens :lol:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes you get a lot of urine from rabbits but you should also be feeding them some hay and they waste a lot of that. The urine gets soaked up into it and just helps it break down. The poop cantains a lot of coarse matter also and the urine just makes it a more complete fertilizer. I've never had it burn even when I pile it deep enough to smother weeds around my plants.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I bought a few bags of the Black Cow " 100%" composted manure over the years, but only a few as I was very concerned about all the sand those poor critters must have been eating!

Latest posts