Maine here...

Angie n Maine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Not much of a growing season, but hopefully I'm not the only Mainer around here. :)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome Angi - I'm a part-time Mainer, does that count? :weee

We have a home in Lebanon. I don't garden there, just enjoy the wild blueberries.

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Angie, I knew someone who moved to Maine - does that count? (She has cows, no chickens, poor thing...)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
At a latitude of about 48 North, I'm farther north than you, does that count?

In fact, my gardens are farther north than Pat in Ontario . . . :bun

Steve's digits . . . no, no not the rest of him

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been to Maine a bunch of times. Does that count? Probably not since I've never gardened there...
Welcome from a "Nutmegger".

jeanabelle

Sprout
Reaction score
I am a Maine gardener but was a Massachusetts one. It is very tough having a garden up here in Maine. I am very close to the border and the growing season is very short. I have found that planting my veggies earlier than the posted "safe" date, produces a larger crop. I plant and prepare to cover them when a frost is forcasted. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. Sure is nice to have another gardener from Maine. I also have 42 hens and 7 roosters, you?
Jeannie

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Angie!!!
I just got back from Jackman, Maine yesterday. I was there for a sled dog race and judging from this past weekend I can't imagine anything growing any time soon with the sudden changes in weather!
On Friday (first day of the race) it was so warm we were watching the snow melt. The trails were sooo heavy and slow!
On Saturday (day 2) we were running in driving sleet! There was a good base on the trails but we were running in SLUSH!!!
On Sunday (day 3) we got snow, snow and more snow with gusts of wind that were blowing the dogs (and dog drivers) all over the trails!!!
We go to Jackman every year. It's such GORGEOUS country!!! It must be a challenge to garden, but you probably know exactly what grows well up there. The day I buy that winning lottery ticket is the day you'll have to tell me!!! :) I'd love to live there!