majors 2019 garden..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
take two....dang hijackers
have not ordered any seeds or started anything...really!!!!!
the last couple months have been in a personal funk...

anyway got off my procrastinating butt since the we have a ton of canned stuff left over due to last years kitchen flood decided to put the main garden out of rotation and work on the soil. picked up straw <of course i'm short a bale>.

this morning tilled ,spread a spring cover crop mix, covered so the main garden is on it's way to being healthier. yup thats my fingers
IMG_3250.JPG

going to do multiple plantings buckwheat/mustard/clover/winter rye..
then worked on the melon patch, took the flame thrower to it lots of weeds, spread the remaining straw out there once i figure out what going out there you will be the first to know..
IMG_3251.JPG

the cinder block bed..
will hand pull the weeds tomorrow and weed eat around it, will be putting some pressure on it this season..
IMG_3252.JPG

the raised beds..
it's in such sad shape. going to rebuild 4 maybe 5 beds and there something off in the soil nothing truly grew in them, so will take soil samples and send them off so i can rectify the problems.
but in the meantime it needs a serious weed eating. theres that dang finger again
IMG_3253.JPG

but one of my main goals is to mow the property springs weeds are getting out of control...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, why the straw? I am asking because I have a lot with the rabbit manure and wondering if I should spread it and why would I and then what?

i'd guess just to get rid of it. straw lasts a bit longer than hay as a mulch, but eventually it gets broken down like the rest of it. i think the worms like straw because it is hollow so it gives them places to hide. :)

as for straw with rabbit manure, i think that would be a good garden amendment. put it down and lightly turn it in if you want it for fertility, but if you just want to use it as a mulch you can wait and use it after or during planting on top. the rains will wash any stuff down out of it and the worms will feast...

Latest posts