Making the pond system PRETTY - New pic

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The pond system consists of an in ground pre-formed liner with rocks around the edge. Typical set up there. But then I have this huge pie shaped stock tank wedge made out of black plastic. It kind of looks like this, just shaped different...

http://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com/rcp/products/detail.jsp?rcpNum=4242-88

So what can I cheaply surround this big hunk o' plastic with to make it look nicer? Flexible bamboo fencing would look nice, but it would be around $100 to cover it all.

Any brilliant ideas?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cool a pond, I had a nice pond a few years ago had to get rid of it due to raccoons. How about you plant maybe some perennials around the plastic tank, I could see irises all around the edge of it and it will add a nice natural element.

Hope this helps! ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought some of that willow fencing last year, to cover an ugly water barrel. It looked really cute- the only problem it is not very long lasting. I stored it inside for the winter and I will get one more year out of it- but it looks a little worse for wear. I was able to cut the fencing in half, since I didn't need it so tall.
I'm with greenthumb- what about some tall grasses that would grow up to cover it?
What about painting it- either to hide it or emphasis it (a garden scene, etc.)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You are a bad bad woman, I just checked to see if there was any of that bag of cement, in the outdoor tool storage area, left. Now I'm thinking of how cool that would be ad the outside of my 3 tiered raised bed by the pond.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do like the idea and look of hypertufa, but thinking about it I don't believe it is going to work. The tub is about 4' high. Here is a pic of it in all its redneck glory...

mediacardblackberrypictd.jpg

Excuse the mess. It just got warm enough for a back yard clean up and I still have a lot to do :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am afraid the hypertura would just look like a giant blob of concrete... Now that I see that setup, if you want fast and easy, I would try the willow fencing. You could cut it in half and in 10 minutes have that covered and looking kind of natural. I don't think it should cost more than 25.00. Keep us posted!

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Friend of mine got 16' lengths of 6' tall bamboo fencing stuff (willow fence? Whatever... the bits of bamboo all wired together) for ~$24 each at Home Depot.

Cutting a 6' fence in half would give you 32' of 3' tall fencing. You could plant some sort of viney thing on it to creep up and then spill over the top, hopefully hiding that last few inches of exposed Rubbermaid. OR... put it up on blocks and plant something mound-y at the base to cover the gap.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I scrounged around in the supply closet at work and found a wooden stick window screen. It isn't perfect, but the price was right (FREE) and I do think I have reduced the redneck quotient a little bit :D

I can prop it up to hide the lip if I want. I have other projects to get to so I will see how much it bugs me after I get the other stuff done.

Here is the update...
mediacardblackberrypictc.jpg

Now I just need to hide the plastic plant trays in the self watering system.

Latest posts