Man I am dense

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why on earth have I not thought of this before? All of you have all sorts of expertise in all manor of life. As a daylily hybridizer I have been trying to get my hands on Colchicine. Colchicine is used to convert a diploid daylily to a tetraploid daylily in order to double the chromosomes. It creates a more vigorous flower and has been done for over 50 years. As a backyarder I have no access to this chemical. You need a license to obtain it so someone in the field of chemistry would have to do me a favor. It is very toxic. I have read about the gloves, mask, eye protection and the space suit need for playing around with it. I have created many beautiful plants that would be greatly improved with conversion. I am sure I would try it a time or 2 and then get over my obsession with it. I have come so close a few times! Any one out there able to help? I have given up until I thought of my greatest resource.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It became a prescription drug in the USA. Perhaps the plant it has historically come from might be easiest to aquire and grow?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It became a prescription drug in the USA. Perhaps the plant it has historically come from might be easiest to aquire and grow?
It is not he prescription I want. If I were smarter I could use that. But I do not now how to convert it to the correct solution. Same for the plant as far as making the correct solution. There are easier to acquire chemicals and I likely will resort to that. But, they are less effective.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Problem is if anyone helps you get it, they are liable for any problems that might happen. Just sayin....

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Problem is if anyone helps you get it, they are liable for any problems that might happen. Just sayin....
I know people do it for daylily hybridizers all of the time. I wouldn't eat it! I can use a couple weed killers that are on the market. They also can make the genetic doubling but less reliably. I had some Chinese companies contact me willing to sell it to me. I never pursued it. I figured the need for a license would come up at some point.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you checked into getting the needed license for it? Is that beyond your ability/circumstances? I have heard of that product, but can't remember where or when.

Latest posts