Many horses went to battle~ WWI and their men respected them```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
upload_2017-11-23_16-15-38.jpeg
The men and women who lived with and went into battle with their horse~ had the great respect for them```

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
They used a lot of donkeys and mules too. And camels.
I read a great book last winter that might interest you, it's titled "Sgt. Reckless: Americas War Horse" by Robin Hutton. She was used in the Korean war. It's a pretty amazing true story.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
There was a movie of this well done we saw it some years back~ didn't know Ausi quarantine laws we that strict back then~ I know when we send a parcel~ wood products are not allowed~ wife's father did bring his dogs back from England ~they are now in Toowoomba, Queensland```

Susannah

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Northern Rivers, New South Wales, Australia
There was a movie of this well done we saw it some years back~ didn't know Ausi quarantine laws we that strict back then~ I know when we send a parcel~ wood products are not allowed~ wife's father did bring his dogs back from England ~they are now in Toowoomba, Queensland```

It was a combination of the cost of returning the Walers to Australia, (the Poms needed horses after the war, so these fit the bill) and from our quarantine laws...sadly, 10,000 Walers were killed near Alice Springs in 2013 - not widely reported...would have been an outcry.
'The Lighthorsemen' is one of my favourite movies.
Our 'Quin', (Havanese), was imported from Sweden and had a long quarantine period...Johnny Depp's wife had some controversy recently over here, when she tried to circumvent quarantine laws for dog importation - the last thing we need is for rabies to enter here...I doubt seriously her dogs had this, but whomever you are, you shouldn't be above a country's laws...a bit of a 'climate' difference for the dogs - hope they are enjoying life over here...

Susannah

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Northern Rivers, New South Wales, Australia
Those horses were mostly, Brumbi , I thought```

"The Waler, the 'plain' Australian bush horse or utility horse, was once lauded as the finest cavalry horse in the world...Brumbies on the other hand, are a free-roaming feral horse in Australia, mainly in the Alpine region."

Latest posts