March-April-May forecast, USA

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Temperature

off01_temp.gif

Precipitation

off01_prcp.gif

Color Monthly & Seasonal Outlook, NOAA Climate Prediction Center Maps (click)

digitS' :coolsun

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm... so it looks like the PNW will be below normal in temps and above normal for rain ( well equal chances for rain mostly ) and since a lot of our weather is from that direction I'm gonna guess that this spring will be similar to last year. Darn.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle', it just can't be that bad . . . There were records set in 2011 for how slowly the temperatures warmed.

Besides, it looks like those above/below normals are for the other side of the Cascades!! I don't know if anyone noticed but our western Washington gardeners, just kind of dropped out of TEG universe. Silkiechicken still checks in with us . . . please, correct me if I'm wrong but that's about it.

For western Washington, it has been very difficult growing weather for the last couple of years -- just not warm enuf!

This has been partially true in every direction radiating out from western WA. (Can you use the word "radiating" when talking about cold/wet? Maybe, "sloshing?") In other words, folks had late winters and cool/wet springs right down into California and thru Nevada & Utah and anywhere north of that. I don't know how the Alberta gardeners fared . . . at some point, you'd just have to turn around, go back indoors . . . and wait for the caribou herd to come thru :rolleyes:.

Steve

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've got a friend in Chehalis WA who's hubby built her a greenhouse using AMAZING blue glass windows (does that make it a bluehouse?) they were gifted in large quantity. She's been using it for sure to get things grown.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For the rain fall amounts there are more brown colors than there are letters. Does the light brown in MI mean just slightly above normal then? It was too wet last spring so my taters never went out, and my spinach and lettuce was planted too late. Spinach never did a thing and lettuce bolted within 3 weeks. Slightly warmer would be nicer but not super wet and cold then blazing hot like last year. :barnie

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like we might be stuck in limbo again this spring. I checked the old farmers almanac site, It says April and May Will be slightly cooler and wetter than normal, hopefully no wheres near as bad as last spring :duc. It also says that summer in our area will be hotter and dryer than normal, and so will Sept., Oct.
Guess we will have to wait and see.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Thistle', it just can't be that bad . . . There were records set in 2011 for how slowly the temperatures warmed.

Besides, it looks like those above/below normals are for the other side of the Cascades!!

Steve
Yes, but have you noticed how bad they are about letting things leak over to our side??

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Collector said:
Looks like we might be stuck in limbo again this spring. I checked the old farmers almanac site, It says April and May Will be slightly cooler and wetter than normal, hopefully no wheres near as bad as last spring :duc. It also says that summer in our area will be hotter and dryer than normal, and so will Sept., Oct.
Guess we will have to wait and see.
IMO, NOAA is always playing catch-up to the FA. Guess we'll see.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
swampducks said:
For the rain fall amounts there are more brown colors than there are letters. Does the light brown in MI mean just slightly above normal then? It was too wet last spring so my taters never went out, and my spinach and lettuce was planted too late. Spinach never did a thing and lettuce bolted within 3 weeks. Slightly warmer would be nicer but not super wet and cold then blazing hot like last year. :barnie
Yeap! Basically more of the same that we've had. Not really complaining since I am hardening my plants to go out over a month earlier then normal but if this keeps up we are going to rewrite our normal.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
HunkieDorie23 said:
swampducks said:
Yeap! Basically more of the same that we've had. Not really complaining since I am hardening my plants to go out over a month earlier then normal but if this keeps up we are going to rewrite our normal.
I'm going to quote you on this next March!! ROFL!