Margarines?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In @Nyboy 's peeling vegetables:

As to potatoes, I peel for mashed potatoes but when I make chips,(french fries to you guys) I leave the skins on just scrub them well before slicing and soaking in cold water to get rid of some of the starch. Baked, we eat skins and all, love those crispy skins with a little butter or for us Becel marg.
Like AfterMidnight, do you use these alternative margarines?

Since I didn't know what Becel is, I looked online for it.

If I understand right, the same company sells it in the U.S. as Promise Activ.

Doubly ignorant, I didn't know that there are margarines that are purported to actually lower cholesterol, not just be cholesterol and trans fat free.

The advertisement says they are good for cooking. AfterMidnight, do you cook with Becel?

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS' Becel Margarine, we've been using it for years. DH had a couple of plugged arteries 30 years back and after we got that fixed up it was the hospital dietitian that put us on to Becel and have been using it ever since instead of butter but we do cheat once in awhile:). It has been greatly approved over the years and yes I definitely use it in cooking, can hardly tell the difference between it and butter any more.

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to be very loyal to Nucoa.

It was easy to use it for cooking and certainly had a better flavor than shortening. Then the trans fat warnings came out. I thought that I'd have to abandon use of both Nucoa & Crisco shortening. Shoot, in a matter of months (maybe weeks), their ingredient lists and nutrition info had changed!

I haven't quite "digested" what it means that it was done with FDA news and done so quickly. I still wonder if my loyalty is misplaced.

However, I guess I haven't really understood that lowering cholesterol was a possibility with ingredients that can go into margarines. Thirty years? That's a good sign. I get no warnings about cholesterol from the MD. Fact is, I was told that I had a high level of the good cholesterol - not sure how that comes about, either. Still, I've reason to have healthier ways of preparing foods.

Steve
who doesn't dab butter or margarine on his toast or waffles

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I heard ad witnessed that not even flies will land on marjarine, so I stopped using it a long time ago. It's hard to crave too much butter. DH can't eat much salt these days, so he has unsalted butter and I can make a pie crust with it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you , @Nyboy and @seedcorn ,

do you use butter for cooking?

Nucoa has been a good choice for me. Substitute out the Crisco in baking, now and then. Oil for veggie stir-fry. Bacon fairly often, of course.

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I still grudgingly use Crisco for pie crusts but it's nowhere near as good as it used to be before they changed their formula, piecrusts are just passable not scrumptious now :(. Not that I use the deep fryer very often but when I do I use Mazola corn oil, doesn't stink up the house like Crisco or Canola does. Of course when I make shortbread or welsh cakes it has to be butter;).

Annette

Latest posts