Marigolds

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted marigolds in my square foot garden (I always plant marigolds around my veggies for pest control), but they don't seem to be very happy in there. Think it is too wet? Not hot enough? All the other plants are going nuts, but not my poor little marigolds.What gives?:(

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not sure... mine are doing good, but I'm keeping that bed on the drier side because we're expecting rain tomorrow or saturday.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was thinking that aybe it is just a little to "cushy" in the garden (it is pretty nice in there...). It kind of seems like marigolds like it a little rough.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This year the Marigolds that are doing the best are volunteers. I did plant some, but they are pretty small compared to the ones the came up by themselves. They do seem to like a poor, dry soil better than rich and moist.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any chance they were root-bound before setting out?

Unless soil is actually dropping off the bottom, I tear up into the root ball to "butterfly" out the roots. If the soil is loose enuf that the plant really hasn't gotten its roots to be bottom of the container, they can just be "plunked" down in the hole. Seldom are they that immature when they are set out - especially not if they are from the garden center.

Tearing roots may seem harsh (you can use shears ;)) but stunted, deformed roots only able to grow in a tight circle cannot support much top-growth.

The blooming of plants in the flats usually indicate that they are root-bound. Don't be afraid to pinch the blooms off when you transplant into the garden.

I know, I know - Steve is a harsh taskmaster but I do manage to get most things to grow and bloom.

♪ Movin', movin', movin',
Though they're disapprovin',
Keep them dogies movin', rawhide.

Don't try to understand 'em,
Just rope an' throw an' brand 'em.
Soon we'll be living high and wide.

Rawhide . . . ♪

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Now I'll be singing that song everytime I transplant something. Probably when I am trying to get my students do something too. The threat of any singing is usually enough to get them to do what I want them to do.

Latest posts