marinade traditional, Major'-inspired

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major' has been cooking and that has inspired me.

I've shared this marinade idea before. Really, it is just about my stir-fry ingredients, absent the veggies. Here's the marinade: 1 part oil (optional, depends what you're cooking), 2 parts vinegar (vary the vinegars), 2 parts soy sauce.

I'm getting a reputation around here for just using those 3 ingredients over sliced Portabella mushrooms. After no more than 10 minutes, they are ready for the pan.

Yesterday, I was asked to do this with tofu and the Shiitake & button mushrooms. I first tried this about 20 years ago. The marinade included chopped green onions & cilantro (because it was Sunday) but I left the oil out. The dry Shiitake had to be soaked in water for about 20 minutes before cooking. Then they were sliced thin. The buttons can be sliced or not.

A 10 minute marinade, and go!

The firm tofu had been sliced and went in the bottom of the pan on hot oil. Next the mushrooms and some of the marinade went into the pan over everything.

After turning the tofu and rearranging the mushrooms once or twice, chicken stock with about a tablespoon of cornstarch stirred in, is poured over everything. While this thickens, last minute seasonings may be added. I like Maggi or Golden Mountain sauce.

That's it -- a high-protein veggie dish. Of course, it could have included bok choy and other veggies, like thinly-sliced carrots and broccoli florets. The sliced tofu could have been left out entirely. As I say, this is my basic stir-fry recipe. Don't tell the family . . . they think I'm doing something special with mushrooms ;).

Varying the low-pH ingredient, the vinegar, is a way to change things. I will sometimes use lime juice. Don't get too carried away with adding too much of the marinade in with the cooking veggies. Remember, lower-sodium is more healthful. You may also want to use low-sodium stock - mine is salt-free.

Of course, the marinade can be used with meat. Garlic & ginger are good things to add then.

Steve :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major' has been cooking and that has inspired me.

I've shared this marinade idea before. Really, it is just about my stir-fry ingredients, absent the veggies. Here's the marinade: 1 part oil (optional, depends what you're cooking), 2 parts vinegar (vary the vinegars), 2 parts soy sauce.

I'm getting a reputation around here for just using those 3 ingredients over sliced Portabella mushrooms. After no more than 10 minutes, they are ready for the pan.

Yesterday, I was asked to do this with tofu and the Shiitake & button mushrooms. I first tried this about 20 years ago. The marinade included chopped green onions & cilantro (because it was Sunday) but I left the oil out. The dry Shiitake had to be soaked in water for about 20 minutes before cooking. Then they were sliced thin. The buttons can be sliced or not.

A 10 minute marinade, and go!

The firm tofu had been sliced and went in the bottom of the pan on hot oil. Next the mushrooms and some of the marinade went into the pan over everything.

After turning the tofu and rearranging the mushrooms once or twice, chicken stock with about a tablespoon of cornstarch stirred in, is poured over everything. While this thickens, last minute seasonings may be added. I like Maggi or Golden Mountain sauce.

That's it -- a high-protein veggie dish. Of course, it could have included bok choy and other veggies, like thinly-sliced carrots and broccoli florets. The sliced tofu could have been left out entirely. As I say, this is my basic stir-fry recipe. Don't tell the family . . . they think I'm doing something special with mushrooms ;).

Varying the low-pH ingredient, the vinegar, is a way to change things. I will sometimes use lime juice. Don't get too carried away with adding too much of the marinade in with the cooking veggies. Remember, lower-sodium is more healthful. You may also want to use low-sodium stock - mine is salt-free.

Of course, the marinade can be used with meat. Garlic & ginger are good things to add then.

Steve :)
Is Sunday cilantro day? Or were you just fancying it up for Sunday?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can leave out that cilantro, So Lucky.

As I was looking around for, & failing to find, a bona fide recipe, I saw where a real cook was using rosemary.

Imma thinkin' 'bout that . . .

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We went to Hu Hot last night - if you're not familiar, it's an all you can eat Mongolian grill buffet - frozen meats, fresh veg and a huge selection of sauces, you put what you want in your dish, then hand it to the guy grilling on this huge, round flat top. A fast saute, and he hands it back to you.

My 2nd dish I included mangoes, never done that before but it sounded interesting. YUM. they were really good in stir fry!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can see all those options in that buffet, Heather!

Just dozens of variations . .

. but no, I don't remember having ever seen mango.

Steve

Latest posts