Maybe a Summer Thunderstorm

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
picked up .75" says @Lickbranchfarm . Probably a good thing. I'm running sprinklers today and trying to put that amount on the garden and lawn.

I have lived on the northern California coast. Thunderstorms were not really common but rain, rain, rain would occur through 9 months with about 40", each year. Thunderstorms were more common in my childhood home between the Cascades and Coast Mountains in southern Oregon. Travels: I've seen some Gulf Coast rainstorms that were torrential. The American Southwest has interesting terrain because that arid country is marked by water erosion in a dramatic way. I've been there during the monsoon seasons but have completely missed any real storm activity.

The WS is warning about the possibility of local flooding ... I imagine that others elsewhere in North America would smile about the predictions of mud across roadways from something in excess of .25" which is about the most of what can be hoped for. We'll see.

" Hope for " is right. I was talking to a central Washington farmer, Tuesday. He said that a recent, 30 minute storm had brought him 1/2" of rain. "Good!" I said. He nodded.

Summer storms are just not likely to amount to much here. I wouldn't want to be in Tornado Alley, however. Nope.

19 Dorothy.jpg

digitS', Pacific Northwest

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
This damper-cooler weather we have had this spring has cut back on the watering and kept things green here abouts.
Welcome summer

Speaking for North Carolina weather only but its unpredictable as all get out here. One minute its 100 degrees, storm blows through its 75 degrees and pleasant. When its hot its miserable with the humidity we have, but when its nice and cool, its pleasant. Summer storms are an uncertainty here, you might get it you might not. I was telling my wife the other day it rained the entire 30 minute commute home from work I get 5 minutes from the house the sun pops out and its dry as a pop corn fart.
We were on a 8 day dry stretch until this recent batch of rain. @majorcatfish can probably tell you for sure but I think last year we went like 45 days without a drop maybe more, and around here in August it would be hot without a storm to cool it off. We do get our share off the east coast hurricanes, but its usually to much at once and just runs off, but you take what you can get.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I miss real thunderstorms. Tornado alley or no. Growing up in metro Kansas City MO, we saw a good thunderstorm about every other day. A few green skies too.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're pretty much in tornado alley here in SE Missouri. There have been several deadly ones here over the years. And the residents remain nonchalant about it, not worrying about making sure they have a storm shelter or a plan. I guess it's kind of like people in California not worrying about earthquakes. Oh yeah..... we have earthquake dangers here too. :hide
We are having thunderstorms today. I always enjoy seeing them rolling in from the North, or, like today, from the Southwest.
In the spring and summer, we get thunderstorms in the heat of the afternoon and early evening. But in the fall/winter, we get storms mostly in the morning.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lickbranchfarm you are so right about it and miss storms, would look on the radar a big storm heading right for us and then it would zig or zag around us, I believe the belews lake power plant has something to do with it. Of course when we did get rain it rained way to much to soak in...
Yes last year was a dry one, so far we are below average in rain.... thank goodness for a good well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that I have enjoyed thunderstorms in the morning.

I feel a little that me rising to meet the day is something of an event.

It goes unnoticed.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thunderstorms here have been arriving late this year - usually just about the time I'm going to bed. :hide Obviously, I'd rather be awake intentionally as the storms roll through... but if they came through during the day, they'd be stronger, so I just count my blessings.

A lot less rain so far than we've had at this point in recent years, a welcome change. The music festival "Country USA" is here this week, they always seem to get rained on... I think for the fans, the mud has become just part of the experience. :ya:weeeHad several get struck by lightning one year, though. Looks like they will have fair weather this year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hit .35" in the rain gauge at a nearby airport.

Yay!

The WS timing may have been off. The "late morning" amounted to a few sprinkles. Thunder (limited) and rain in the late afternoon came at a good time for me :). I managed to come out of my dozing in the lazyboy long enough to enjoy the view from the window before the rain stopped and I drifted off to sleep, again.

Steve

Latest posts